Selespeed jumping gears when hot - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-04-13 Thread Starter
County: Aberdeen

Member car:

147 selespeed

Wave Selespeed jumping gears when hot

Hi All, I've just bought a 2006 Alfa147 selespeed lusso with only 30K documented miles. It was great on the test drive. Unfortunately it turns out after around driving 30mins it starts jumping from 2nd gear to 5th or to neutral. Researching the net I canít see the same problem anywhere. Seems strange and maybe significant it only happening when hot. I took it to my local independent garage mentioned on who connected to their diagnosis equipment Ė no fault, oil in system checked and ok but when they took for extensive test drive and found same problem and could only suggest new actuator £1000 +. I did have one suggestion that the high and low speed selection shaft inside the actuator is corroded as although the car is 7 years old the mileage suggests less its a worn part but corrosion. Any ideas would be much appreciated not least because my wife is far from happy 'I've bought a broken car'
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Suspect no one has replied as it's certainly hard to pin this one down, and I'm def no expert, but have my fair share of Selespeed issues. The only when hot thing is the strange part and does point towards electrical connections or sensors.

I laughed at the 'new Actuator' diagnosis, that seems to be the go-to answer for any greedy mechanic with only half a clue on Selespeeds. So many other things to check and eliminate before that.

As I have said recently a few times, ensuring the clutch rod length is spot on, and cleaning out the main SS wiring loom and relay with contact cleaner worked wonders for my similar issues, although my probs weren't temperature related. But be careful when assuming the temp is the issue. If you sit in the driveway with the key on MAR can you happily change gear up and down a hundred times? Or will it start to play up after 10 mins of doing that etc etc Could also be accumulator or pump related if the pressure isn't fairly steady.

Good luck and let us know the outcome!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gears , hot , jumping , selespeed