Hidden turbo noise ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Hidden turbo noise ?

I've searched and also looked at diagrams etc but need some more info/ideas from thos in the know......

Over the last couple of months I've noticed I can hear the turbo air whoosh between 1500rpm and 2500rpm. Now it's not loud, but I can hear it if I put the window down. It is a kinda Darth Vadar breathing sound, very faint. the sound probably continues right the way through the rev range, but I can't hear it due to either engine noise or road/wind noise if at speed. It's more than just the sort of turbo flutter "dolphin" noise it makes at about 2000rpm sometimes.

Car has recent upper and lower silicon hoses. No power loss or running issues.

I used to get a turbo whoosh when I blew the flexi section in the exhaust, so I've looked at joins etc near the front of the system, but can't see any signs of a blow.

It may just be a normal sound for my car, but just want to make sure.

Anything else I need to check ?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
I'll be interested in this Marlon, as I am relatively new to the oil burning 156 - my previous have all been V6s. But the other day, I was in the car with my 12 year old son, and he produced an unpleasant smell. He then opened "his" window in appreciation for my paleness (wanted to kill him!) and he asked what the "whoosh" noise was?! Ever since, he loves that noise (not as nice as the V6 growl!), and every opportunity now opens his window when he is in the front!

I just hope this is a normal noise!

Well when I blew the flexi section of the exhaust, there wasn't actually any real increase in engine noise. Not like if you blow the zorts on a V6 for instance

So when booting it, eventually I'd get a light whoosh sound which was awesome. Was so disapointed it disappeared when I fixed the exhaust.

But the noise I have now sounds like a similair sound, but just very very quiet.
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Got the same sound on mine at around the same revs. I have been listening intently and it does seem to be coming from the passenger side of the car - it's not exhaust and it's not the pipes. Not a clue what it is.
Yeah i too think it's from the passenger side, so I can only assume top hose. But mine is new(ish) silicon jobby and fitted nicely (if I do say so myself )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

hidden , noise , turbo