Noise from steering wheel on sharp-ish turns. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Newport

Member car:

2004 147 1.9 JTD

Noise from steering wheel on sharp-ish turns.

I'm getting a quite dull noise from the steering wheel when making 15 - 25mph right/left sharp-ish turns.

My car has been off the road for almost 2 years. I've put new tyres on it, brakes pads are fine, brake discs may need replacing. Done 700 odd miles in it so far.

It has only started making this noise. The previous MOT says "advisory - steering pivot slightly off" or something similar to that. It also says my brake pads are 25% at the front and low at the back, but they are completely fine says they guys who showed my during changing my tyres.

Any ideas? My car is listed above.

I'll be posting a lot about advice and problems. My car is a 2004 1.9 JTD 8V 5 Door Diesel. It was off the road for about 2 years and is new to me. I'm bringing it back to life
Sponsored Links
Based on the location of the noise it can be one of two issues

1. The Steering column universal joint is sticking slightly due to it standing....

Look down near the pedals, you will see the joint where the splines insert from the column.
Although it's a sealed unit, silicon lubricant spray (DO NOT USE wd40) can help free it off... cover your pedals for safety spray liberally around the joint while turning the wheel lock to lock with the engine running for ease of turning.

Turn the engine off.
Now look down behind the engine below the brake master cylinder on the bulkhead and you should just be able to see where the column spline comes to meet the rack itself... Give that a quick spray too.

remove the bottom plastic cowling (where the ignition key inserts) and spray the height adjuster and behind the steering wheel.. Put the cowling back in place and adjust the height of the column and reach a good few times then lock it back into position...

Start the engine again and perform around ten lock to lock turns... Now take it for a drive and listen for the noise... If it cures it then great, if not then it may be a new universal joint... Nearly all cars not just Alfa's suffer from U/J issues if left standing for a long period

2. It could also be low or contaminated power steering fluid.. It should be a cherry coloured when fresh and mid brown colour at worst If it is almost black it definitely needs changing and should be changed every two years anyway.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 18-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Newport

Member car:

2004 147 1.9 JTD

Thanks for the reply. I think it's a power steering fluid leak. I found a leak under the car directly below the wind-shield area. Maybe it's a slow leak as I've done 700 miles in just over a month after the car was off the road for 2 years. It doesn't seem to leak when the engine is off. It isn't my wiper tank, oil or diesel. Brake fluid was my next guess but since my steering wheel is making this noise, I have to go with that.

I'm no longer driving the car just in-case until I take it to a garage.
AO Silver Member
County: -
If the power steer fluid gets low the pump will usually make a funny noise when you turn the wheel. Why don't you try filling up the power steer fluid reservior and see if the noise goes away?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

noise , sharpish , steering , turns , wheel