Selespeed issue - Water in the system
Need some help…..
Last week, my alfa romeo 147 (2005) selespeed didn;t want to start (battery is OK, etc). we found out the car was stuck in FIRST gear at ignition and didn't want to shift down to Neutral.
NRMA connected the battery directly to the selespeed pump (by-passing the control board), which triggered the gear to change to Neutral. Then I was able to start the car
Two days later, the opposite happened: I was able to start the car, but impossible to shift the gear to first gear or to reverse. The gear was stuck in Neutral.
I got the car towed to Alfa service and they told me “they found water into the selespeed system and it damaged all the various components. It will cost at least $4,500 to replace pump and 2 or 3 others components + flushing the selespeed liquid”.
I didn’t lend the car to anyone, I didn’t fill up the washer tank, etc in other words, I am sure that no-one has accessed the selespeed reservoir.
What are my alternatives, really not keen to spend $4500