Q2 on 156 2.5 V6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-04-13 Thread Starter
County: Victoria

Member car:

156 V6 2.5 24V

Help Q2 on 156 2.5 V6

Has anyone got a Q2 differential installed on their 156 2.5 V6? Was after some opinions on whether or not this would be a worthwhile upgrade - i.e. is there significant handling (round corners, in the wet) and safety (diff not going bust) benefits to be had when compared to having it on say a 3.2 V6?

Also - if I do decide to go ahead with the Q2 installation, what else should be attended to whilst the car is up on the hoist? I feel like my clutch bearing is on the way out so is this a good time to do the clutch and the bearing as well? I'm trying to maximise my labour savings.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Q2 on 156 2.5 V6

On GTA the diff is done without removing the gearbox from the car, or splitting it away from the engine. Although it needs doing on a ramp, the process does t expose the clutch do I doubt a huge labour saving would be involved.

As to improvements in handling, if very much depends on how you drive. In a straight line from a rolling start, a limited slip diff makes no difference at all. It does help accelerating from standstill in slippery conditions as you get two wheel drive rather than one wheel wheel spin.
Also, while attacking corners at speed an LSD helps the car follow the intended line as both wheels maintain solid drive as opposed to an open diff where drive goes to the wheel with least resistance, which is the inside wheel. The wheel with most grip, the outside, weight loaded wheel loses drive.

2.5 gearboxes don't have the same reputation for savage destruction under load that the 3.2 cars have, so the advantage over cost would be smaller.

Last edited by Spacecadet; 07-04-13 at 07:17.
AO Platinum Member
As Andy said, it is a relatively simple job to install on these boxes, The Autolusso price for a Quaife is (I think) 650 fitted.
and the 2.5v6 don't blow their diffs apart, probably due to their poor torque curve. I don't think there has been a single case on here, happy to be proved wrong though!

Don't let that put you off getting a Q2 or Quaife though...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT