welding on a 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 02-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa 156

welding on a 156

my 156 needs a couple of patches welding on the n/s sill,as it failed the mot,are there any special precautions to take,apart from disconnecting battery.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
battery off and take your time try not to weld for to long, small runs then let it cool down abit then go again .you need clean metal to weld no paint on it .hope this helps
AO Platinum Member
You haven't said exactly which 156 you have, but many have an ECU (either engine or gearbox) in the passenger footwell which may be close to where you are welding.
AO Member
County: Berkshire
Completely unrelated, but I was watching a real pro welding today. He was making a custom stainless manifold for a straight 6 Jag. All mandrel bent pipes and welded under argon in boxes to keep the oxygen out.. He will then go on to make 20 copies of it (it's for a Jag racing series). Only 24 years old and started his own business aged 18. Seriously impressive stuff. I asked him how he does the calculations to make sure each branch is equal length. He did explain, but it I lost track about half way through
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Sounds obvious but have a fire extingusher handy, hose,bucket of sand ect. It's easy to burn anything down.
Do do it properly? And to check the rest of the floorpan, sills as is always the case that when you start to clean off rotted area's it gets bigger than you expected!

Remove the seats, carpets, plastic trims, rubber door seals for a start, don't forget door panels and rubber outer trims too, any plastics can soon catch alight very quickly with a stray burst through flame....
You then need to un-clip the wires and cables that run under the carpets and use bungies with hooks attached to the headlining grab handles in order to raise them well out of the way. As Dave has said... Some models have an internal ECU that needs to be taken out too...

You will notice on the floor pans near where you will be cutting and welding there will be rubber/tar like insulation panels.... These need to be removed completely at least 12" away from the source of repair... Otherwise they will light up like a flare and they burn up very easily least when you expect it and usually when you are under the car and the doors closed... Before you know it, the car is on flames and out of control before you can react with a fire extinguisher...

Welding, it looks easy enough and straight forward... But it isn't, and never is... Preparation is everything
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.4JTDm

Remember also that heat travels. I vividly remember that, many moons ago, my Corsair started out needing a welded sill and finished up needing a new dash cover and headliner. Good heavens, I said, that was unfortunate . . . or words to that effect.
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Corsair, wow thats a flash from the past. I had a GT, the straight 4 1500cc. I can even remember the reg No.
Sad .....
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.4JTDm

Giving my age away

Yes, a 1500 auto that I inherited. I was wary of the auto reliability and so sold it. Needless to say it was still happily autoing around many years later!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , welding