flickering bulb out - replaced rev counter. no change, any other ideas?
Occasionally first thing on a cold morning i'd find the car would take a while to crank; i now think this the is glow plugs but that's by the by. I replaced the battery, as it was old, and at the same time took the earth strap, the 2 which goes to the side of the car and the gearbox, and cleaned them up with a file as i'd read it could be an earthing issue also.
I don't know whether it's co-incidence, but maybe a couple of days later the bulb out indicator started flashing. Now in my mind:
"slow to crank" + "flashing bulb out" = rev counter.
So i bought a 2nd hand unit from ebay and fitted that and the problem is EXACTLY the same. Even if the "new" unit had the same fault i can't imagine the flashing would be identical, a bit more or a bit less, always on, or whatever. So i'm thinking it must be an earthing issue with the lights.
The symptoms are:
- With ignition on MAR, but the car and lights off the bulb doesn't come on at all.
- With ignition on MAR, but the car off, and the lights on (either sidelights or dipped beam) the light stays on and does not go out
- With car started the bulb initially goes out and then flickers, occasionally staying on for a bit and occasionally staying off for a bit (30 seconds)
- It doesn't matter what pedal or button i press it does NOT affect the flickering of the light.
- The numberplate lights are fine.
It is reasonable to say that because hitting any of the pedals or indicators doesn't affect it this leaves me either with:
1. the sidelights
2. the tail lights (are they connected to the brake light?)
3. still the rev counter, it's just co-incidence that the flashing is identical
4. I did a crap job on the earth straps at the front; would that even affect the bulb out indicator?
any help much appreciated.
Last edited by diddums100; 22-03-13 at 13:11.