flickering bulb out - replaced rev counter. no change, any other ideas? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

Hmmm flickering bulb out - replaced rev counter. no change, any other ideas?

Hi guys,

Occasionally first thing on a cold morning i'd find the car would take a while to crank; i now think this the is glow plugs but that's by the by. I replaced the battery, as it was old, and at the same time took the earth strap, the 2 which goes to the side of the car and the gearbox, and cleaned them up with a file as i'd read it could be an earthing issue also.

I don't know whether it's co-incidence, but maybe a couple of days later the bulb out indicator started flashing. Now in my mind:

"slow to crank" + "flashing bulb out" = rev counter.

So i bought a 2nd hand unit from ebay and fitted that and the problem is EXACTLY the same. Even if the "new" unit had the same fault i can't imagine the flashing would be identical, a bit more or a bit less, always on, or whatever. So i'm thinking it must be an earthing issue with the lights.

The symptoms are:

- With ignition on MAR, but the car and lights off the bulb doesn't come on at all.
- With ignition on MAR, but the car off, and the lights on (either sidelights or dipped beam) the light stays on and does not go out
- With car started the bulb initially goes out and then flickers, occasionally staying on for a bit and occasionally staying off for a bit (30 seconds)
- It doesn't matter what pedal or button i press it does NOT affect the flickering of the light.
- The numberplate lights are fine.

It is reasonable to say that because hitting any of the pedals or indicators doesn't affect it this leaves me either with:

1. the sidelights
2. the tail lights (are they connected to the brake light?)
3. still the rev counter, it's just co-incidence that the flashing is identical
4. I did a crap job on the earth straps at the front; would that even affect the bulb out indicator?

any help much appreciated.

Last edited by diddums100; 22-03-13 at 13:11.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
I wouldn't have thought that it was a rev counter fault to be honest.
Go round each light and make sure the connections to the bulb are clean and bright and that the earth connection to the body is good. Not sure how many earths the engine has but make sure you have checked them all.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
If the "bulb out" light comes on when the lights are on then I would check the front side lights first, it could be one of them is not the correct wattage, the next point would be the number plate bulbs as these can get coroded and can errors from this.
AO Gold Member
I agree the rev counter probably isn't the issue on this occasion. I have a intermittent issue with the offside sidelight - sometimes it doesn't light, but tapping the headlamop lens gently brings it on - or sometimes hitting a pothole will do it....must be a bad connection on the light or offside earth, but I'm afraid I haven't been bothered to sort it yet, as I never run on sidelights only......
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 28-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

just as an update; it was the sidelights. i got some led ones off ebay and a few of the panels had blown in one and there was only about 1 panel left on another - never again! replaced with some normal bulbs and it's fine now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bulb , change , counter , flickering , ideas , replaced , rev