156 Radio Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Help 156 Radio Problems

I have a 1999 156 1.8TS and since I replaced my car battery I have had problems with my radio.

I expected to get the message CODE on starting the radio for the first time but instead I just got 4 dashes (----). I assume the radio is waiting for me to enter my 4 digit code, for which I have the original card, but it doesn't respond to any of my attempts to enter the code.

The radio is the cars original (Alpine 932) and the only button that responds is the on/off.

I have tried entering the code with the ignition key in/out and disconnected the battery again. Is the radio locked? Am I correct in saying it should display WAIT if this was the case? I have left the radio powered up for 3 hrs but still the same. Has anyone any advice on how to proceed?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 156 Radio Problems

When you say that it doesn't respond to any of your attempts to enter the code, (without wishing to suggest the obvious) are you sure you're pressing the "preset" buttons 1 - 4 to enter the code rather than just trying the (more obvious) volume up & down, which doesn't do anything on this radio....

If its locked out, you have to have both the ignitiona and the raadio on for at least 90 mins, as I had to drive around for ages when the garage locked mine out... (but I can't remember what was displayed when it was locked...)

2004 Silver Audi A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG (eBay!)

OEM Xenons (retro-fitted), PIAA silicone wipers, integrated Parrott CK3000 bluetooth phone kit, O2 XDA2 PDA/phone with TomTom wired GPS

Ex - 1999 156 1.8TS SP1 (1999-2003) + 2002 156 2.0JTS Turismo (2004-2006) (fell off Snake Pass backwards at 60mph...)

Tks for the reply.....have been using the radio preset buttons with no joy.

I will try your advice for a locked radio and go for a nice long drive with the radio left on......the longest has been about 45 mins at the mo.

Left the radio on with the ignition key in and got the message "CODE" after 2hrs. Was then able to input the radio code.

Tks for your help

Whilst on the subject of radio problems, I have an intermittent problem whereby my radio, on first starting the car, will provide the current selected station but beeps every 20 seconds or so. If you then search for stations it resolutely refuses to recognise any for some 5 to 10 minuites before suddenly latching on to an obscure local radio station. It gradually then starts to recognise other stations but nationals last.

As I say, this is intermittent on the original fit Alfa radio (98). Well, when I say original fit, the original radio actually didn't work from first day of delivery and nobody in the UK or Italy could get it working so a dealer swapped it for a radio from another 156. But original fit basically.

Just wondered if others had experienced similar?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , problems , radio