Replacing the Alternator on a 156 1.6ti - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 15-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

Citroen xantia

Replacing the Alternator on a 156 1.6ti

Hi gents, Had to do this job recently and took the advice of Thread 762....go in from the top. Worked well, still took me probably 8 hours all in. Quite a lot of stripping before you can really even see how it`s fitted !. The hardest part was kneeling on the front scuttle ( with knee pads ) to work on the back of the engine. The car was on wheel ramps at the front to get underneath look in there and it looked to me like going in from underneath was too big a job........recently had the car 4 wheel tracked also. The difficult bolts ( x 2 ) that bolt the plenum to the manifold , I got around by bending a 13mm spanner into a banana shape for the drivers side bolt and access to the other side was manageable. I refitted them also. The bolt that holds the power steering reservoir was a real pain, in with locktite and being an allen bolt was a 1/8 turn at a time job, when I got it a little loose I could turn the 13mm "bolt" it screws into and get the whole lot off. On refitting I replaced the allen bolt with a slot head screw. The alternator that came out was a 90 amp ( car is a 156, 2004 1.6ti with aircon ) I was expecting a 120 amp . A new alternator was going to be 250 euro, old one repaired 200 euro so I couldn`t resist an alfa buddy offering me a secondhand one for 60 euro. It was a 105 amp and the pulley was slightly bigger.
Fitting the alternator was difficult.....a lot of weight and took a while to pop it in the slot.
The aux belt fitted alright over the larger pulley. Got it all back together in reverse order and all was fault codes, some grazed knees, ( probably should have dropped the car back on the ground before working on the back of the engine ) genny working fine
( phew ! ) . Took a bit of a risk putting an old alternator in .......hope it lasts. Thanks to the forum for advice......particularly the link in thread 762. Hope this is some help to others tackling the same job.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 16ti , alternator , replacing