need bit of help and advice on m.o.t advisory items - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cornwall

Member car:

alfa 156 t.spark

Hmmm need bit of help and advice on m.o.t advisory items

i just had m.o.t and there were advisory items,also rubbing sound slightly on front left wheele area.the m.o.t.reads;1, offside front suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint 2 , nearside front anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in an ball joint,im going to have a go but unsure if i need new parts or can she be fixed,also would a alfa service manual tell me,please could anyone help
Sponsored Links
New parts I'm afraid. But they are not hard to replace and also not expensive.

Drop link and a wishbone, but you need to know whether it's the top or bottom wishbone. My guess is the top, but you will probably hear a clunking sound over bumps ? Grab the wheel at the top and pull it. Play in the top wishbone will allow you to move the wheel.

The rubbing sound...?? Brakes binding slightly ? If so make sure the sliding pins of the carrier are free. If they aren't, take the carrier off, and heat with a blow torch. Heat the carrier body and not the actual sliding pins. Then every so often try and turn the pins with a spanner etc. Eventually they will come out. Rub them down, grease them with lithium (not copper) grease and refit everything
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Play in some components leads to wear on others generally so best to replace them as they go or hold on and replace the lot at once. I'm waiting for my wheel bearing to rattle before I have my wishbones done.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , advisory , bit , items , mot