Help, 147 runs worse after garage changed EGR - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-03-13 Thread Starter
County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa 147

Help, 147 runs worse after garage changed EGR

Hi Iím hoping someone might be able to give me some advice.

Iíve got at 05 (facelift) 147 1.9 JTD 16v with 100K miles on it.

After changing an EGR valve do you have to drive the car for a period of time (few hundred miles) and start stop it / 40 or 50 times for the on board computer to ďre-syncĒ or ďadjustĒ to the new valve?

I ask asÖ.

Last month the Engine control warning light came on. I had noticed the fuel efficiency had dropped off but apart from that it ran fine.
I took it to my local garage and they cleaned up the EGR valve and replaced the air flow sensor due to error code 1238
I picked it up, but as soon as I started the engine the error came back. This time when they plugged in the computer they realised it also had error code P0401 all along, which indicated the EGR valve and not the airflow sensor had been the problem the whole time. They told me to drive it for 2 weeks and the error would probably clear itself, but it didnít. However it still ran smoothly
I took it back and they replaced the EGR valve. However when I collected the car it sounded terrible (the garage had warned me about this on the phone). On tick over the revs kept increasing / decreasing and stalling sometimes. Even when driving it was like I was randomly pressing the brake or hitting the accelerator, very, very juddery. The garage says this is because the onboard computer has adjusted to the old EGR valve and it may take 30 Ė 50 engine start / stops and potentially hundreds of miles of around town and motorway driving to re adjust. Iím sceptical about this, the mechanic didnít seen that confident in the statement either and didnít charge me any labour.
After driving it for 20 minutes and the engine has warmed up it does seem to run ok, but once its cooled down its awful.

My problem is that in a few days Iím moving 300 miles away, so I donít have much time to sit and wait or the option of keep taking it back to the garage. Iím also worried about driving it 300 miles to my new home as it is.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
I wouldn't use your garage again. They haven't fitted the egr valve correctly.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

you don't have to stop/start it 50 times or drive hundreds of miles for it to learn anything. obviously not fixed properly at the garage.
don't think anyone can predict whether you'll be able to do 300 miles without breaking down.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , changed , egr , garage , idleing , juddering , runs , worse