Age vs Mileage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 07-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Age vs Mileage

So I'm (hopefully) in the final stages of buying a GT JTD but my final decision is about the above.

I'm torn between getting a lower mileage car (roughly 54 plate) or a roughly 18 months newer car ('06 plate) but with anything up to 20-30k more miles on it. The spec levels are identical and I'm not going to be doing huge mileages but following a not great test drive (it lost power) in a slightly newer car I'm leaning towards the lower mileages.....

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

Mileage aside, I'd go for the one that appears to have been best looked after, taking into account history (service and otherwise), number of owners, visual condition.
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

as above, condition is more important than both. if it's done low mileage but not looked after it's going to be a worse buy than something that's done moon miles but never had a penny spared

AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
as above condition is the one .
AO Member
County: West Sussex
As above.
Mine has 125k on it but looked after ish. It will never be perfect. 2005 and with no major issues apart from a bulb and for 2k I'm hoping for some good motoring. but if your looking at mileage then it's all chance because it may had been used for long distance motorway driving in 6th and not thrashed like the lower mileage car. Back to the point. Look at previous MOT's if poss. And always ask the owner about what they used the car for. After all your at the advantage seeing as they are trying to sell you their car! and anything you think may need to be done soon. Example cambelt or service then knock them down for it. I know it's hard to haggle but sellers expect this. The car I bought started off at 2,250 so cambelt change is almost free for me.
Good luck with the purchase!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

age , mileage