Steering Wheel shake - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Hmmm Steering Wheel shake

To begin with i had a 4 wheel alighnment done then a few months later i had the nsf driveshaft refurbished due to the car driving as if there was road kill on the tyres, this seemed to allieviate the issue, however i still felt a faint tremmer as though the wheels were driving on a rough surface....

I had all wheels balanced and the front wheels alighned again which hasn't made any difference really, decided to have front wheels swapped around with rears, whilst having this done at a garage i asked if the front right wheel could be checked for any buckles and was informed of a very small buckle (This wheel now being placed on the drivers rear), drove down the road with still a shake evident at speeds from about 40ish upto 80ish - wish is very noticable.....Also observed some minor balding to the inner side of the tyre now at the rear.

One other thing ive heard at times is the front suspension bushes sounding a bit squeaky whilst in motion and static....could this cause vibration in the steering wheel..

Steering wheel doesn't pull from left to right and neither under braking...

So any other possible causes / solutions AO's would be much appreciated....
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Fife

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9JTD

The buckled alloy could still be causing the shaking even on the rear.
I had a very slightly buckles 17" MOMO Arrow on my old Astra, thought that chucking it on the rear would take the vibration away but it made little to no difference as the vibration then just traveled through the car.

Squeaking suspension bushes probably just rubber bushes dry and creaking. I had this on both my BMWs and it was the front top mount bush. Some moly grease on it and it was silent. Not a perfect solution but a solution none-the-less.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Sounds like the tire is damaged or out of round
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 06-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Thanks fella's....

Its booked in this friday to have a new front flexi pipe fitted so will hopefully get it sorted once and for all..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

shake , steering , wheel