Next car, a little advice needed please! :confused: - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
Next car, a little advice needed please! :confused:

Hi guys. As I mentioned nearly a couple of weeks ago, I had my gorgeous 156 V6 with full Zender kit and GTA alloys, written off by a bad man in a van!

Anyway, soon the insurance will be paying out, and I need a new car. I NEED an Alfa, just can't change at this point in my life because I'm still a big kid.

I have a several 156 V6s, a 166 Super, several 147 - all Twin Sparks (mainly for the missus!), and now, I think it is time for a diesel.

I am eyeing up a few, but choice is now between a 156 JTD 20V, or a GT JTD. I love the look of the GT - its presence is just awesome especially from the front! The 156 is what I know, although I've not had a diesel as of yet.

The GT is squeezing my budget, but you can get quite high mileage ones for around the 3k mark, although they are all 1.9 engines. But how are the electrics on these?! My twin has a 147 JTD 16v and has done well over 110k miles, and has had many problems that I could never imagine on my 156 V6s as they seemed bullet proof! Or maybe I was just lucky! But I see the GT as a 147 with a sexier body!

But the 2.4 20V really takes my fancy power wise, and there are a few more out there and a little cheaper! Plus, I have many spares should I ever need them! Switches, motors....Anyway, I guess I am appealing to those who had tries both. So come guys, what do you reckon?!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Western Cape
hi i can only speak from a gt 1.9 jtdm side, what a ca,r the low center off gravity lets u do anything u want and stays on the road the 1,9 is cheaper to run than a 2.4 did my home work before i got the gt. got it as a family car and delivery car for our baking business. the kiddies sit in back with plenty of space and the boot is big i packed 350 cupcakes with the seat down very practical for a sports car.the electrics are good and the gearbox is of a v6 alfa so quite sounds like the guys with the 2.4 have to change the clutch more often than the 1,9 manual.the power is great on a 1,9 if u map it it goes. my friend has the same 1.9 and he is on 290 000 km and only spent money on service and once had to clean the egr and he drives like a mad man

if u have a lot of spares and a spare motor it comes down to the best car for the best price if u take a 1.9 u can always put the 2.4 in later the gt is a lot of fun to drive hope u get it soon
you're going to miss a Busso

Alternative? 3.0 V6GTV
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 24-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
Cheers Luciano. Graham, I probably would miss the Busso. But I want to try a change. A remapped 2.4 must be worth a try??? Especially for not much money?! And a GTV, I think a GT looks more practical because of the kids...

Last edited by G414SSO; 24-02-13 at 22:53.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , car , confused , needed