New 156 jtd owner brake disc advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 21-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Fife
New 156 jtd owner brake disc advice

Hi everyone, I'm now the owner of a beautiful 2004 156 jtd veloce, but as I'm sure your all aware the brakes are not great, they do work however and the car does stop, but my front discs are very worn and need replaced, the car currently has drilled/grooved discs which are rather noisy at times, and was wanting to know the best disc/pad setup for the Diesel engines, should i get more grooved discs or just get standard vented ones? Also I see ferodo ds pads seem to be favoured but at 130 a set they are mega expensive for pads are they not? Used to using standard brake set up on previous cars but I'm aware the Diesel engine 156 does need improved brakes.
Any advise would be very welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
There is no reason to upgrade the brakes. My 2.4 is standard and work really well. No point wasting money.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Replace the disks with standard to cut out the noise and uprate the pads, it probably won't cost much more than replacing with drilled disks etc.
(Post Link) post #4 of 19 Old 21-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

To be honest the noise doesn't bother me too much just want the brakes to work as well as possible, u do have to be quite hard on the brake pedal to get the car to stop, but from what I've read on this forum it's an issue with the facelift 1.9 jtd, and as the previous owner had fitted grooved discs, was thinking he was trying to improve the brake efficiency.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Sometimes it's the simple things that make the most difference. Had the fluid ever been changed? Are the sliders free on the callipers?
(Post Link) post #6 of 19 Old 21-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

I think the biggest issue is a learning curve, getting used to the alfa's under servoed brakes, they felt really bad at first, but kinda used to them now. I'm going to get new brake fluid when I get my new discs fitted, and the callipers seem fine, was really just after some advice on discs people had used in the past is it worth getting grooved discs again? My mate is highly recommending ebc grooved disks and redstuff pads, anyone had experience with them on a 156 before?
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
I've got a facelift 156 sportwagon and a very low concentration element when driving....put these together and when the brakes are needed cos i'm looking at the stereo or a bird flying above and then i realize a car has stopped in front of me....my brakes do the trick every time.
(Post Link) post #8 of 19 Old 21-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Lol I've never actually slammed the brakes on yet to see how quick I could get it to stop, might have to try on a quiet road
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3NNY View Post
Hi everyone, I'm now the owner of a beautiful 2004 156 jtd veloce, but as I'm sure your all aware the brakes are not great, they do work however and the car does stop, but my front discs are very worn and need replaced, the car currently has drilled/grooved discs which are rather noisy at times, and was wanting to know the best disc/pad setup for the Diesel engines, should i get more grooved discs or just get standard vented ones? Also I see ferodo ds pads seem to be favoured but at 130 a set they are mega expensive for pads are they not? Used to using standard brake set up on previous cars but I'm aware the Diesel engine 156 does need improved brakes.
Any advise would be very welcome
Mine had the standard 284mm disk's with Ferodo's, does the job enough to make your eye balls pop out even only having them at the front..

After the pads were changed on my latest 156 still on stock ones, bedding made them spongy and crap but after bedding they are doing a great job.
(Post Link) post #10 of 19 Old 25-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yeah they seem much better now a week on after buying the car, just not used to having to thump the brake pedal so hard before anything happens lol
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Yeah they seem much better now a week on after buying the car, just not used to having to thump the brake pedal so hard before anything happens lol
On my 2.4 jtd 10v ,which is mapped to just under 200bhp ,it had drilled and grooved on it when i bought it in 07 very noisey and not that good for stopping in 2011 i had all four corners changed to standard and brake pads and fluid change.
Difference was huge, 2.5 years later they are still performing well.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Not sure you really need to do that for effective braking.

Get everything cleaned, fresh brake fluid, standard discs, possibly uprate the pads to something like Ferodo DS performance pads (quite expensive). You won't be stamping on the brakes if you do that.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

Mine didn't stop when I got it. I swapped the rock hard pads for some Mintex pads and am more than happy with the brakes now!

Keith
(Post Link) post #14 of 19 Old 25-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

My mate raves about EBC turbo discs and redstuff pads, he thinks I should get them for the alfa, anyone any experience with them?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
My mate raves about EBC turbo discs and redstuff pads, he thinks I should get them for the alfa, anyone any experience with them?
I've already suggested to you one of the best combinations for the 156 JTD 16v.

Last edited by Spider95; 25-02-13 at 20:45.
CJO
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:

Do a search - there have been serveral threads where people have gone over the pros and cons of serveral different pads and disc combos
(Post Link) post #17 of 19 Old 25-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Are the ferodo pads really that good even on standard discs? I've been reviewing this topic for over a week and have had mixed response to be honest, I just don't want to spend a lot of money to find the brakes feel much the same, one guy even told me the brakes were just poor on the 1.9 jtd and there was nothing much u could do to improve them and the car has had new brake fluid and pads fitted before I bought it.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Basically there are two factors which are important concerning braking, surface area and heat. As a generalisation; standard pads or budget pads will be mediocre at low and mid temperatures and will fade if they get hot after lots of intensive braking. Fast road pads vary but will generally heat up quickly enough and give better performance across the range. Race pads will take forever to heat up on the road and will only work properly when hot, but will stop you on a tuppeny piece all else being equal.

The drilled, grooved flat debate goes on forever. Basically drilled discs are prone to cracking unless they have been forged with holes in (brembo) which case they are less prone. Grooved discs will dissipate heat more quickly and are widely used in motorsport but will wear your pads more quickly and unless you do trackdays, you'll never need the marginal benefit of grooves. Flat discs give the largest efficient surface area, are the strongest and are more than sufficient for road use.

A higher friction pad with 100% contact on standard discs will brake more efficiently than a high friction pad on drilled and grooved discs... (unless you're on your third lap of Silverstone). It will wear through discs sooner but think of it like coarse sandpaper on a sanding block vs. wet and dry. A jagged surface will wear through your sanding block sooner but will be easier to sand (less friction) than a flat surface.

My brakes were pap until I jetwashed them recently. Brake dust ruins the efficiency, also if you stand on the pedal the car really does stand on it's nose now. Try left foot braking, you'll soon see how effective they are

As for 120.00... yeah you can put track pads on your car but unless you do regular track days or have money to burn, you might as well save your money for new tyres, 80 would get you some decent Tarox 112 or Brembo fast road pads.

First website:
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...frontbrakepads

These are 65.00
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...roduct=2649587

Nick

Alfa 156 M-Jet 16v Sport
Rhoddy Harvey Bailey revalved Bilsten B8 damping kit
Eibach Pro Kit
15mm wheel spacers
Wiechers strut brace
Air freshener

Last edited by AutobotVanguard; 25-02-13 at 23:58.
(Post Link) post #19 of 19 Old 26-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers mate, the website looks good, and sensible prices, will definetly consider pads from here

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , advice , brake , disc , jtd , owner