Anti-Roll Bar knock - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Anti-Roll Bar knock

Hello fellow Alfisti's

I was driving home last night along some country roads, coming into the suburb i stopped at a roundabout, road was a little 'greasy' form the evening dew and pulling away the car wheel-span.

An immediate knocking noise started after this and i assumed at first that the wheel spinning had upset my bella and caused something to go. Drove the car immediately to my garage around the corner and jacked the car up. checked the play in both front wheels, all okay, i know the top wishbones have a bit of play, but i did those last year and i don't think i tightened them enough.

pulling on the ARB and prying it with a crow bar i think i found the source of the noise. The sound is coming from the passenger foot well when driving, and noise is only apparent when going over rough road, and some dips & bumps (not every bump) i had upper wishbone that the ball joint and bush had failed, but those are new and the noise sounded like a hollow knock and this doesn't sound like that.

The sound is lower down and sounds more like a metallic scratchy noise.

I am going to have a go at replacing the ARB with a second-hand GTA bar and Powerflex bushes. I know its a big job and what is needed to do so, I do have air tools and various jacks/ axle stands to make life easier. However i am a bit stumped on a few things...

My Std ARB is 22mm dia, and the GTA ARB i i want to fit is 23mm dia, GTA bar doesn't come with the bush clamps, but i am assuming i can use my Std ones? i will be buying the GTA powerflex bushes.

However, i think i have to cut the spot welds on the clamps to free the old bush, and can i drill and rivet the clamp pieces to each other when refitting, or do i have to tac weld it back?

The Plastic/ Nylon/ Teflon anti sway collars have been broken/ missing on the car already, do i have to fit new ones when i go to put the GTA ARB in? or can i use some steel collar clamps?

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks, Chris
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Your new GTA ARB will have the anti-sway collars, they're not designed to be replaced.... although there are posts in here of all sorts of attempts at repairing them, including (I kid you not) bits of cut up chopping boards.

Make sure your replacement ARB is in pristine condition in the area of the bushes, else any pitted or flaking paint will hasten the failure of your new bushes.

The bush clamps from your old ARB will be fine, the external dimesnions of the bushes are all the same, it's only the hole in them that differs.

I used my original bush clamps on on Eibach ARBs and had no trouble, you do indeed have to drill out the rivets. Bolt the ARB back in place with the subframe still lowered, use your free hand (or an assistant) to reach in and press the loose end of the clamp down while popping the bolt back in. No need to tac weld....unles you really want to.

Good luck

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 20-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Thanks for the reply pubsinger,

Just bought the GTA ARB set off eBay (front & back) from autolusso, Dan said he would clean it up and paint any exposed bare metal parts, very helpful chaps.

Going to attempt this with air power and I have the torque specs for all the sub frame bolts, I don't think this is the place to over look the bolt torque specs.

Will post again with my progress.

Ta guys

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

antiroll , bar , knock