Gt steering/ wishbones / bearing help!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Help Gt steering/ wishbones / bearing help!!

Basically Alfa GT JTD had bearings changed a couple of weeks back and found play in some of the arm bushes so changed uppers lowers and links on both sides yesterday. Now here's where the problem is the driver side wheel still has the tiniest bit of play in it Only up and down not side to side. I would say you can feel about a 1/2mm movement if you measured from the outside of the wheel. Also found the car when turned hard left once let go of the steering wheel she will straighten up but if you turn hard right she will keep turning right even with hands off the steering wheel. When I do it in car park after a few turns you can see almost like a scrubbing pattern across the passanger wheel. I haven't had he aligned yet but can't see the issue being solved by tracking, would guess its more of a caster issue, if anyone has ideas??!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
bottom ball joint? on bottom wishbone, cant think of anything else it could be
The taper of the balk joint bolt isn't settled in the bottom hub hole properly, probably at an angle. Its best to remove it and clean, grease the hole to aid flush fitting then it needs torqued to proper setting on bottom wishbone ball joint. As a result, the tracking needs checking again and adjusting if it needs it properly. I.e adjusted on both sides, not just one track rod end and aligned with the rear axle. Swap wheels front to rear for 1000 miles, just in case the uneven wear is pulling and it will start to wear the offending tyre evenly

Last edited by Grahameo; 16-02-13 at 23:06.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 17-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

I'll have a look at bottom ball joint tomoz, it is all torqued up to correct settings! . Tyres were my other thought, as the shoulder is fairly worn on that side as from the old bushes, but didnt know if the tyre could have that much of an effect. Think ill check bottom ball joint tomoz change wheels over (front to back) then take to to quick fit as they've got that new hawkeye alignment which will give me a better idea of what is out exactly on car.
AO Member
County: Scottish Borders
And if its not too late and our friends at K-F recommend a change of tyre, check us out:
We are a Trade site that has opened up to AO Club Members (see all details on our entry in the Trade Directory).
I am sure that we can find the tyre you want and at a price to save you some £.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bearing , steering or , wishbones