selespeed problems again :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-02-13 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire
selespeed problems again :(

Hi Guys, yet another issue with my selespeed i have a 147 selespeed on a Y plate, a few months ago i replaced the accumulator which has been great, however a few weeks ago i developed a new problem???? i have no EML on?? but, i have trouble intermittantly selecting first gear?? other times the gear selection indiacator on the dash flashes on gear 1 and 2 but seems to drive fine, when i cannot get first i can select reverse but even then it sometimes jumps out back to neutral.

Any ideas??? could this be the pump on its way out with lack of pressure from cold??? it does prime when the door opens but not 100% sure it does it all the time, was under the impression it should only prime if the pressure is low, also i have no fluid leak and level is fine????

Help pleeeeease
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Hows your battery voltage? Clean connectors, check condition
AO Gold Member
download Multiecuscan of Alfadiag .... check out youtube rarebear14
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
will check the battery voltage and get back to you belavia. Is there i direct link between the battery and the fault then?

In regards to the multiecuscan of alfadiag, is this a free download?will it run on all laptops?Think i will be getting it as my friend has some software for his golf and it is really helpful!

Thanks for the replies guys
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-13 Thread Starter
Hi again, have checked battery all fine and less than 1 year old terminals are fine also, the problem is getting worse, havent had chance to sort fiatscan as yet but now the gears jump from first to 4th then to neutral, sometimes can only select reverse, then get first and jumps to third skipping second, not sure the dash is reading correctly though as acceperation is to good in 4th lol also jumps from gear to neutral with no warning when jumping around???????? still 1st and second dash indicator flash when driving mostly but again not all the time??? still no EML warning, relay and accumulator changed 6 months ago and was fine for a few months?????

Any further ideas???
AO Member
Sounds similar to my recent issues, gears jumping around, sometimes works fine, sometimes only R working, 1 and 2 flashing but car still drives. And all this with no error codes showing on the dash or in the ECU.

My recent fix was fourfold, and (fingers crossed) a week on, so far so good, perfect in fact. (Hope I don't regret putting that in writing!)

1. Adjusted clutch rod length to be within spec. Was reading at 29.2, spec is 28.0-28.5. Now reads 28.1.

2. Pulled apart main Selespeed wiring loom multiplug (next to battery), sprayed well with contact cleaner. (slide to side to release and pull apart, easy)

3. Removed the Selespeed relay, cleaned the oil off the contacts, spray it and its socket with C.C, refitted it properly and secured with a cable tie. (small black square thing above wiring loom)

4. Using AlfaDiag, perform 'Bleed clutch' and 'EOL Gearbox calibration'. (warm up car first). Then do 'Clutch Self Adjust' routine (on a quiet street). Details also around here somewhere, ask here if needed.

Now I'm no mechanic at all, but the clutch rod wasn't difficult, just needed some jumper leads, a torch, some patience and a couple of spanners. Oh, and a laptop running Alfadiag with the ODBII cable of course. There's a guide around here somewhere.

Not sure what one fixed the issues, but I suspect it was actually all four in different ways.
Saved me a big bill, and by all accounts these four areas are essential to reliable SS operation. Highly recommended.

Last edited by TiggerK; 12-03-13 at 22:20.
AO Member
County: Victoria
Yep I'd agree with TiggerK - I've had similar problems, I performed the same adjustments (only i use MES not AlfaDiag) and the system is working perfectly.

It doesn't like being out of adjustment - clutch rod, clutch bite should be party of your regular maintenance.

All I'd add is that this should be the first thing you do, if your problem persists, see an expert! There are some very knowledgeable people here that will walk you through more steps.

Member car:

147 selespeed

Had the same problems when I got the car. Recalibration helped . also small cheat: the 3rd and 5th gear sit outside the gearbox, pasager side tire needs to be removed and those 2 bolts tightened. My problems are gone. I still get a message of "selespeed system failure" every time it hits 4000 rev but mechanically nothing changes and the car drives like a dream

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

problems , selespeed