After owning prety shoddy cars i`ve just bought my first Alfa!
I`m over the moon with it, it`s a 147 1.6 TS Lusso 05 with 62 on the clock and the cambelt was done at 52. The chap I bought it from told me everything about it (good and bad) as we have a work connection, last service was October by a specialist in Bristol called Duncan. I`m taking it to him to get looked over asap.
I need some feedback on the following points..
1. MCSF warning came on after 3 days, I was told about this, and the seller said it`s only happening when the mercury drops (outside). He called the specialist and was advised it could be a temp sensor thing. The car sounds fine and power is fine. It has been ok for the last 2 days as it`s been a bit warmer.
There was an advisory for the rear exhaust on the last MOT. The last time it flashed I was driving fast on M5, (my heart sank!) It has been intermittent and does seem to come on when it gets cold. The fan seems to come on at strange times though, blowing pretty hard.
It`s (MCSF) off now but would like to get it sorted as it`s a bit of a scary message.
2. This could be connected.. on starting white smoke/steam (not too much though) coming out of the tail. I`ve read a few posts on this, it is grey, doesn`t smell too oily, end is a wee bit black but not unusual. It seems to go completely when driven for a fair distance. It`s probably just steam but any experience with this is appreciated.
3. Needs 2 front Tyres. Looking to replace all 4, and suggestions that won`t break the bank but are quality? Going to be driving it to Scotand lots and have some pretty sketchy bends where I`m going.
4. Driver door passenger window control makes it go down, but doesn`t put it up. Loose wire or something?
5. Waterpump and ancillarys haven`t been replaced yet, worth doing for peace of mind?
6. Exhaust change, is it worth putting a whole new system on if the back box is done (seems to be the outer skin) any suggestions for a reliable and not too loud replacement system?
Sorry to sound like such a punter but any advice is appreciated