I don't know what the fuss is about the headlights in the 156 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
I found mine were terrible as soon as I hit the unlit back roads in winter - could hardly see a thing most times and they were pretty dangerous really! So I looked into it and bought some mid-range 'Ultra Brilliance' halogens and the difference was startling - not quite as bright as the modern Beemers and the like, but certainly good enough.

Sorry if I sound a bit thick here but I was wondering about dirt getting inside the lens - I thought this wasn't possible since they're sealed units?
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 29 Old 23-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Being a courtesy car, I can't comment with any certainty, but I suspect the bulbs were nightbreakers or similar given my experience with them on previous cars. I do live in the middle of nowhere and I find that it's oncoming traffic that tends to cause issues. On a dark road on a dark night with no oncoming traffic, a torch would do okay!
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
The lights on my 156 were OK, no more or less once I'd put the bulbs in correctly after buying it. I didn't feel the need for Nightbreaker bulbs even though I've used them before as most of my driving is in urban areas, I'm not a country boy these days.
I tend to have high turnover of fairly well used cars and most have easily rectified headlight faults, the favourite being bulb replaced wrongly, clip missing etc. My current DD has a film of old laquer on the lights, not helping at all.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

156 sw jtd 16v

Originally Posted by ta156 View Post
I recently bought a 156 Sportwagon. My only disappointment is with the headlights - really dull and dim.

I'll try the Osram Nightbreakers.

Snap,my new sw lights are awful they dont travel far at all,do they take the same bulbs as my 147 old shape? I have some expensive 20 quid jobbies in that which are excellent. It was scary on the motorway at high speeds a little,they didnt travel far enough.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , fuss , headlights