Alfa 156 GTA 2 buy or not 2 buy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-13 Thread Starter
County: Durham

Member car:

Land Rover

Alfa 156 GTA 2 buy or not 2 buy?

Hi All,

Firstly newbie here...great forum...very here goes!!!

Ok dilemma (right adjective I dunno) I face is I am wanting one of these and wanting to modify this Autodelta esque looks and finish etc....

Price, MPG etc not an issue as this won't be (predominantly) my daily drive...perhaps 2 or 3 days out of the working week and at weekends.

Not sure wether to plum for a 156 GTA and upgrade it or go for a 'higher' Italian marque and stick with that as pretty much stock. For example, a Maserati Gransport LE is probably the other alternative.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire
Depends what you want out of the car as they are totally different.
Alfa 156 GTA is a very rare beast, even more so in SW shape. They are expensive to run, and maintain, but nowhere near the cost of a Maserati!

If money is no object, buy a Maserati, if you'd prefer to enjoy it without such a worry about 'what if it break?' Have a GTA.

At the moment, you could buy a decent 156 GTA for 7k or so, and get a tired spare for about 3500. Really sound car, and full spare for a shade of 10k. Bargain!
AO Member
County: Cheshire
As above, it depends whether you want a rear wheel drive V8 grand tourer or a highly modified and exclusive front wheel drive V6. My dream car would be a 156 GTA Autodelta, but a last gen Quattroporte is just effortlessly beautiful and that engine note! The Alfa would be a labour of love to commission and will be very much 'your car' once you have finished with it. You could even source a 4wd system from a Q4 or crosswagon and have it bored to 3.8 and supercharged to make an ultimate Alfa GTA. Alternatively you could buy a Maserati for more initial money and spend the rest on keeping it on the road. Finally, don't discount a 159 or Brera V6, Autodelta would breathe on either for you and both come with 4wd systems which originated on the Lancia Delta Integrale. In fact, you could buy an Integrale and buy into motorsport royalty at the same time, or an Eagle Stratos replica with an Alfa V6 in it, or fit lancia 037 panels on a Beta coupe chassis and....

Oh dear... I appear to have gotten carried away again...

Anyway, info on the 156 here:

Alfa 156 M-Jet 16v Sport
Rhoddy Harvey Bailey revalved Bilsten B8 damping kit
Eibach Pro Kit
15mm wheel spacers
Wiechers strut brace
Air freshener
AO Member
County: Victoria
Id donate a testicle for a GTA.. But over here you cant get them under $aud20k..

Not too expensive but as i hate financing cars, its a wad of money.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

I suppose it depends on funding.... my mechanic has 2 massers, he told me that a wish bone on an alfa 156 is around 50 quid, the same part for the masser is 800 quid

if you couldnt afford to buy the car new, you cannot afford to run it

the GTA is a whole load of car for the money now, the masser is in a differnt league and so would repairing it be
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got the 2.5 V6 and that is an animal.

3.2 is next on my list. Fire up that beautiful Busso engine and you will lose any will to own anything else around that price range.
AO Silver Member
do it while you can, maser parts are very high and so is the amount of labour in some cases. my Indy also does work on masers and he says they are not bad either!

I say take the 156 GTA! even though money is not an issue at least teh road tax will be cheaper! and the insurance might be? a touch?

the engine is a work of art...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , buy , gta