baffled - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

156 jtd 1.9

Ok good morning, ok changed my crank shaft sensor 6 months ago. Thing I have done to my 156 1.9 jtd recently. I changed the top intercooler pipe as the old one was split
Ok.the drama being now I can be driving along and the car just cuts out (why I mentioned crank shaft sensor ) however once I remove the keys from the ignition barrel lock.and unlock.the will restart
Please any ideas
Another one in the past I am sure on locking the car was one constant beep and unlocking used to be 3 beeps however I may be wrong as unlocking now.seems to be only 2 beeps
Thank u
Sponsored Links
County: Hampshire
I recently (ish) changed the cam sensor on mrs bigd's car (a 3 series... ssshhh).
It's now getting a crank sensor fault, I've just learned that its a good idea to change both sensors at the same time if one of them fails.
Don't know if its the same for ours or not, but food for thought.
Either of those sensors will cut the engine
AO Gold Member
First, can I suggest that its bad forum etiquette to have duplicate threads on the same subject - even if no one has answered the first post (after 2 hours....)

Now as to your problem - locking and unlocking the car is a red herring, unless you have some sort of aftermarket immobiliser. The standard locking and alarm system has nothing whatsoever to do with the engine operation or immobiliser. Therefore if the car cuts out for no apparent reason, but will restart after switching the ignition on and off it points at a possible fault in the electic component of the ignition switch. Very unlikely to be related to the crank sensor as faults with that generally require the engine to cool for 10 - 20 minutes before restarting.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Not sure on which car it was, but have seen a couple of cases of the ignition barrel/switch failing.

This causes the car to cut out, and with removing the keys from the ignition barrel, may be causing the connections to briefly work again.

Regarding the alarm, again, can't comment on the 156, but my 146 does 2 beeps for unlock, 1 for lock, or did, until I turned them off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT