147 with no power steering, low battery warning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-13 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk

Member car:

147 1.9 JTDm

147 with no power steering, low battery warning

Hi guys,

Long time reader but a 1st time poster...

My little 147 2.0 JTD Luso is rather unwell. Heard a flapping / squeek when driving to work this morning. Popped to the pub for lunch, started her up and the noise has stopped - but the dash is saying a "Low battery warning" and now the power steering has given up.

Just had the RAC take a look and he's pulled the belt around the alternator off and it's fairly mangled. Reckons the pulleys and bits are probably okay and it's just a belt fail.

Anyone give any advice on what's expected in getting it repaired? I'm not at all mechanically minded but it looks like a bit of a sod to get too - engine appears to be right in the bloody way!!!

Any ideas on background reading, or anyone else had a similar problem with estimated costs or something?

Any help appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Western Cape
got my gt with a loud noise on aux belt at closer look the tensioner was faulty and the dealer only put on a smaller belt to compensate, needles to say i had to replace all the pulleys and belt all and all R1100 in parts and a trip to my mate to install (his got all the tools) not to hard only took 30 min once u have the cover off underneath the car u can reach everything easy jack it and blocks underneath.your pulleys should be fine only the belt and maybe the tensioner should be replaced. by using two spanner locked in one another you can force the tensioner down to replace new belt not to hard. the bolt is a 13 and is the pulley in the middle, with belt off and u laying under the car with your hand pull the tensioner pulley if u can move it with your hand alone,then u need to repace it. good luck and keep us posted
AO Gold Member
JTD auxiliary belt tensioning is a bit more complicated...and on the JTD its often the main sprung tensioner that fails - which is expensive, unfortunately.

Without wishing to be unkind, Stevehoot, but if you don't realise from the low battery warning and the lack of power steering that you've got a belt failure, its not very likely that you'll have the aptitude (or the tools) to sort this. Can anyone Norfolk way recommend a good independent?

Last edited by rgwm; 09-02-13 at 20:03.
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Harsh but true!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , battery , low , power , steering , warning