Alfa 147 new CAT? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-13 Thread Starter
County: South Yorkshire
Alfa 147 new CAT?

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and have done a search but can't find the right info
Here goes:
My cars developed a knocking from under the centre of the car and have finally diagnosed this as the exhaust! Mine has a stainless exhaust from the centre section back, however at the front where the flexy meets the twin cat the weld has blown and its now knocking! Does anyone know if there is a fix for this or does it mean a new CAT? This may force me to sell
Have attached a pic if it helps!

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.9 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Have you called any exhaust places? Find a local one and take it in for them to have a look. It was welded before right? They might weld another flex onto it for you

AO Member
County: Renfrewshire

Well that's not a nice place to get a hole Can you actually see the split on the steel or is it somewhere in the flexi (I can't really make it out from the photo) ? If you can see it, find a friendly welder and get him to clean it and put a run over it (a lot of garages will do this for you too in my experience...helps if you know them).

If it's in the flexi, I believe you can get a weld in replacement section from here - Alfa Romeo 147 Exhausts but obviously you're still going to need that welder and if you do replace this the front of the exhaust from the manifold split flange (just above the pre cats...not the actual manifold) back to the main cat will need to come off the car for access to weld it....don't forget to undo the wiring for the two lambda sensors on the pre-cats if you do.

Personally I would do one of the above....I don't even want to know how much that pre-cat section is.

Hope this helps
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 07-02-13 Thread Starter
County: South Yorkshire
Hi guys thanks for the replies! It's not the flexi that's gone it's the part to the right where the black is. The problem is I think that it's supposed to be welded inside the collar section next to it and this is where you can pull it apart!
Regional Representative
For South Scotland - AOSS
County: West Lothian
I got a new front section when i done mine but had to take it off from the manifold because the bolts where stuck in soo bad, i got mine from euro car parts but i didnt do enough research and only now have i seen you can get the flexi bit its self. Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , cat , knock , knocking