Engine Cuts Out - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 04-02-13 Thread Starter
County: Londonderry

Member car:

Help Engine Cuts Out

My 156 cuts out from time to time when I slow down at roundabouts, junctions etc. An alarm sounds, engine oil pressure warning notice and it cuts out. I can nearly always tell when its about to happen , its as if the engine just slows down. If I have to start it again from the ignition I have to keep the revs up so it doesn't cut out immediately. While the revs are up the engine seems to go through a cycle of self/reving until it finally decides to run as it should. On the other hand when it cuts out and I can jump start and keep going the car takes a few moments before its running as it should.

I have had it with the original dealer who cannot determine the fault and a few other mechs have had a look but no success. Diagnostics doesn't show up anything. I check the oil every week and have used Redex from time to time but nothing seems to work.

Anyone any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
That sounds electrical - check your battery leads and that all the plugs are tight in their sockets (the ones near the throttle body such as the crank sensor, the MAF, the ecu itself etc). If they are making poor contact they could be causing brief voltage drops that are interrupting the ecu. Maybe pull them off, check the contacts are clean, then re-seat. With the engine running, wiggle a few things and see if you can cause the fault.
I have never heard of an Alfa with an intermittent electrical fault, yours must be unique.*

*blatant lie

good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cuts , engine