Just removed Undertray - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 02-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

Just removed Undertray

Driving home from college the other day, followed by mates, they told me that something was hanging below the car.

Had a look and the undertray was hanging half off. Been putting it off cos of the weather, but it's hanging so low it a) makes a noise as it drags and b) it's in danger of snapping if it snags when I reverse.

So out came the socket set and I set to work.

All of the relevant bolts came out pretty easily and were within an arm's reach at a stretch without needing to jack the car up.

Only trouble I had was with the very last bolt; turning it and turning it until hand was cramping from the effort - turns out, it was the only bolt to have a nut on the other side! D'oh!

Got the molegrips on it, then attacked with socket, off it came.

One less problem to deal with.

Number plate bulbs I changed yesterday (pretty easy, though one of the fittings was pretty tough to get out). The annoying buzz from the headlining next to the interior alarm sensors seems to be clearing itself up as the weather warms up, too.

Next thing on the cards might be a remap...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
I would stick it back on. It protects your engine and belts from road spray and all this grit salt. It's there for a purpose.
AO Member
County: Canterbury
I removed mine a 1.5 2 years ago. It was completely shagged at all the mounting points. Ad one say it snagged while reversing out of a car park. A low part at the front caught up on a low parking barrier / block / wall thing. No issues since. I agree they are a good thing to have on when possible but if it's stuffed then too bad.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

I appreciate what you're saying, but I did read about ten threads on here about the undertray before I did it.

Many, many people have their undertrays removed and none have suffered any ill effects from it, even running like that for years.

I may replace it with an ally one at some point, we'll see. But in the meantime, not worried.
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Ive had mine off for years and its never been a bother, hasn't caused any issues or had any ill effects because of it and NO excess build up of salt mud or road rubbish in the engine bay!
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
I was considering doing this ages ago but instead just used a few cable ties to stop the rear of the under tray up, not been a problem since. Cable ties fix everything haha

Used to annoy me so much when i could hear it scrape over speed bumps!
AO Member
County: Northumberland

Member car:

2004 147 JTD 16v

Plenty cars dont have them as standard. Id imagine they were fitted for aerodynamics rather than protection against grit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

removed , undertray