147 Selespeed gearbox swap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 28-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
147 Selespeed gearbox swap

Hi all

I'm planning to do a gearbox swap on my 2003 2.0TS Selespeed next week (weather permitting). I've read up on the various posts on the forum and the 'official' procedure according to eLearn. I'm pretty happy with the how to but I have one question regarding actuator removal. I will have to remove it as my replacement box still has it's original attached, though it does have a ropey connector so I'd rather use the one on the car which is operating fine.

The box is being swapped because of badly worn synchro rings and I managed to get a used box with warranty for about a third of the cost locally of rebuilding the original. On the plus side I will have a spare box and actuator. and I don't have to have the car off the road for too long.

The eLearn procedure uses Alfa tool 1.870.753.001 as you will probably all be aware. I had read on here that a 1/2inch socket extension bar will do the job so, practicing on the replacement box out of the car, I used said extension with a bit of electrical tape round it to make up the diameter of the casing hole, so far so good.

My question is....in what axis is this or the Alfa tool actually locking the selector ? i.e. vertically, rotationally etc. I can see it working rotationally but would just like to confirm. I was able to remove the actuator and then practice a refit which seemed to go quite easily.

Any guiders on the locking would be appreciated.

Concerning the rest I have noted that I will need a long 6mm hex key socket to remove the finger bolt (I'll get a new one from Alfa for the refit...I assume it's treated with thread-lock...cheap anyway). I have the full version of FiatECUScan which will handle the depressurisation, clutch adjustment and gearbox calibration when the huffing and puffing part is done. As I've said I'm pretty happy with the normal mechanical stuff regarding swapping the boxes over but any 'watch outs' would be equally appreciated.

I have read the various posts on this that I've been able to find so apologies if this is old news, couldn't find anything specific on the locking query though.

Over to you guys and I will post success or failure...but it may be a few days...I like to plan a lot before the spannering

p.s. yes I will be doing the clutch while I'm in there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , gearbox , selespeed , swap