Dead battery but alarm set - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 28-01-13 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

Dead battery but alarm set

This is not so much a question, just recorded experience that might help someone.

Yesterday I noticed that that no electrics were working - the battery was stone dead. I must assume the cold weather caused it to freeze in the handful of days I didn't drive.

But the alarm went off when I tried to put the key in the ignition, or tried to undo the negative pole of the battery. As I understand it, the alarm has a back up battery - and was still able to check power changes that indicated movement of the main battery.

What to do?

What I did was to change the battery as quickly as possible so as not to keep triggering the alarm. The trick is to take of the strap first - by far the trickiest part. I was lucky in that there were no screws on the positive pole cap going into the battery, so the operation was quite swift. I think the alarm gave up before I had finished, but there was no problem in the end.

Whether my alarm is working properly now, I'm not sure - but at least I can drive the car to the dealer to check that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alarm , alarm armed , battery , dead , electrical , set