MiTo 1,4 TB engine in Alfa 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By nmsden
  • 1 Post By rgwm
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-01-13 Thread Starter
County: Roskilde

Member car:

BMW E36 328i

MiTo 1,4 TB engine in Alfa 147

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is the rigth place for very technical questions, but I hope you can give your point of view.

I love the design of the Alfa 147, and rather not switch it out for a Giulietta or Mito, but what I would like to is to swap an 1,4 TB Multiair (170hp) engine from a Mito/Giulietta into a Alfa 147 2.0TS, as it's a very nice engine.

Now what technical challenges are there to this swap besides custom engine mounts?

- Will the 1,4 TB engine mate with any 147 gearbox, or is custom driveshafts needed?
- Will the 1,4 TB ECU be able to talk with the rest of the car keeping ABS, ASR/ESP functionality (same CANBUS) or do I have to use 2 ECU's (147 and Mito) at same time, and make custom wiring?

Price difference on Alfa 147 2.0 TS and Mito 1,4 TB Multiair where I live is 22.000 euro, so it's not an option to buy a Mito instead. The whole idea is also that I love the Alfa 147 and wan't to change the rather outdated 2.0 TS engine and make a Alfa 147 with the latest technology engine.

Hope you can clarify some of the biggest issues with this swap.

I know anything is possible as people put 5.0 V10 M5 engines in their old BMW e30 from the 1980's.. but I'm not going that extreme - the swap needs to be possible keeping every functionality of the 147 intact.
sjbd54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
I can't imagine this being a simple operation by any means. No idea if a 1.4 multi-air engine would fit a 147 gearbox, but I'd be surprised if it does. The main issue would be the engine electronics, You would certainly have to use the mult-air ECU and custom wiring, but persuading the rest of the car to talk to that ECU would be an electronic challenge for too far for me.

I wish you luck with this, though - please keep us posted on any progress.....
sjbd54 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , engine , mito