156 1.9 JTD 8v Thermostat - Complicated? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 24-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset
156 1.9 JTD 8v Thermostat - Complicated?

I am going to change the thermostat on my 2003 156 1.9 JTD 8v tomorrow. I have researched it on the forum and the actual procedure looks quite simple. My only concern is there appears to be some horror stories about access to the lower bolt on the thermostat as it is very close to the heat exchanger. This appears to be mostly on 2.4 JTD's rather than the 1.9. Is the 1.9 8v easier than the 2.4 or just as bad? Thanks, Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 25-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset
Just so everybody knows for future reference the 1.9 8v JTD is a nightmare to get the bottom bolt out for the thermostat. The bloody heat exchanger is attached to the bottom bolt. I resorted to bending the heat exchanger plate off the bolt rather than completely removing it. What a pain...... However job done now along with cleaning EGR valve and replacing the air filter (what another pain in the backside job). I thought I would do the air filter whilst I had the battery and battery tray off. Still love the Alfa though...... Car runs a lot better now....I did have a slight hesitation around 1500 revs in 3rd of 4th gear when accelerating slowly.....completely gone now All in all 3 hours work without paying a garage a penny
AO Member

County: -
Bending the plate with what did you manage to bend it sir?? !!
AO Member

County: Malaga
I've done that job on both our 8v's and while it is a pain in the backside, there's no need to bend anything iirc.
AO Member

County: Timiș
Just a heads up to anyone with an 8v 156 or 10v 166, Amazon has a few Behr stats left for 20

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DQ8MMFO
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by leehump1 View Post
Just so everybody knows for future reference the 1.9 8v JTD is a nightmare to get the bottom bolt out for the thermostat. The bloody heat exchanger is attached to the bottom bolt. I resorted to bending the heat exchanger plate off the bolt rather than completely removing it. What a pain...... However job done now along with cleaning EGR valve and replacing the air filter (what another pain in the backside job). I thought I would do the air filter whilst I had the battery and battery tray off. Still love the Alfa though...... Car runs a lot better now....I did have a slight hesitation around 1500 revs in 3rd of 4th gear when accelerating slowly.....completely gone now All in all 3 hours work without paying a garage a penny
I always struggle with the air filter. Every time I convince myself there must be an easier way.
Don't remember the thermostat being difficult except I bought the wrong one and had to remove the temp sensor from the old unit and put it in the new. Everything came apart nicely. I don't think they last more than 40,000 miles.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
The motor factor part books show 2 thermostats for the the 8v JTD engine - identical apart from the only difference being the temp sender fitted to the housing. One has 2 pins, the other has 4 pins. For the 156 JTD you need the 4 pin version. The 2 pin version is for the GT JTD version only.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , complicated , jtd , thermostat