help diagnosing why 147 jtd wont start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

Alfa 147

help diagnosing why 147 jtd wont start

The poor little alfa has mainly been doing short journeys this winter, so on saturday morning it refused to start. it sounds like the cranking was slow, getting slower everytime until it doesnt crank at all.
battery was replaced around 2 years ago by the aa, previously ive had the starter motor brushes replaced also.

I'm thinking it could be either starter or battery.
as I live on a flat road with no garage, used wife's car for jump start but hers is a little 1.3 yaris and probably counldnt get enough power to start mine, also makes all my interior electric flicker.

today I ran a voltmeter across battery terminals and it seems to show about 12 volts

do i remove battery and invest in a charger or attempt to remove the starter motor
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Sounds like the battery. Short journeys as well as cold weather is probably why.... The best thng to do would be find a suitable car/battery and try and jump start yours as this costs nothing, or buy a charger.
AO Member
Yeah I agree. Your battery is dead.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

2005 147 JTD

same here, Diesels need to be cranking over at a certain speed to fire if it's not cranking fast enough it won't fire up. As mentioned find a friend or relative with a decent sized diesel engine to give you a jump a teeny petrol car isn't gonna have the oomph to get yours going
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Measured voltage is NOT a good indication of battery condition especially in cold weather; very few people take into account how temperature affects battery voltage or know what correction factor to use and about 12V is very vague when 0.1V is quite a difference in charge state.

When trying to start did you wait for the glow plug light to go out - you should do. In very cold weather a lot of people turn off and on again and let the glow plugs heat the intake air twice before cranking - it helps.

When your battery is almost completely flat remember that the battery that you are trying to jump it with is not only trying to start the car but also charging that flat battery.

If you do try to jump it again then run connect the leads and run the engine of your wife's car for 5 mins or so before trying to start yours. leave her car running the whole time you are trying to jump start yours. Make sure you have very good connections with the jump leads.

The best way to connect leads is + (pos) on the battery and the - (neg) on the other end of the earth lead on the body or engine rather than on the battery. When disconnection the leads remove the - (neg) lead first and then the + (pos.) This reduces the chances of the electrical sparks causing the gases from the battery exploding. The risk is small but it does very occasionally happen.

If your battery is not "sealed for life" check the electrolyte level and top up as required.
Charge the battery over night with a suitable charger.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , diagnosing , jtd , start