my GT is using some cooler-fluid - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nordjylland
my GT is using some cooler-fluid

Can I have a second opinion on this?

My GT 2.0 JTS is using a little cooler-fluid. In 5.000 km appr. 1-1,5 liter. My other cars never used this.

It was filled to the cap of the tank (=over max.), and the level drops under the minimum-mark.

The cooler is filled with cooler-fluid/water 50/50, according to spec.'s.

There are no wet spots under the car.

When engine is cold there is some white smoke, much less when engine has reached operating-temperature. I think it looks quite normal.

Oil-level almost didn't move in the 5.000 km, maybe it did sink 1-2 mm, which probably is good. Oil is black without any bubbles on dip-stick (fromwater) and there aren't any foam or anything on it.

I don't want to worry too much about oil-liquids etc. The mechanic says it runs out of a overflow-tube/hole, BUT I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM HIM, AND THERE IS STILL WARRANTY, and I don't 100% trust him.

Is it possible for another mechanic to test what's happening (I mean, it isn't that much leaking, maybe it's difficult to find out) or is it only me who am hysterical?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
A few weeks ago I too was loosing coolant and I tried to pin point where the problem was with my GT. I could not see any leaks that was noticeable. I then look towards the radiator and it was leaking but it was eventually evaporating due to the heat of the engine.

As you can see how bad it look once it was taken off so this was not so obvious when I initially inspect it.

This is a common a problem so if you buy one make sure it is aluminium type. I hope this will help you. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rad.jpg (64.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Rad 2.jpg (61.8 KB, 13 views)

Present *Alfa 159 2.4Ti SW Qtronic *Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Past *Alfa 159 2.4Ti SW *Alfa 159 1.9Ti SW *Alfa 147 JTD 16V *Alfa 147 2.0L 5 Door Lusso Vinyl Wrap Gloss White Zender 147 *Alfa 147 1.6L 3 Door Turismo
AO Silver Member
County: -
Generally a garage will pressure test the cooling system to see if it holds pressure over a period of time. If not then there is a slight leak somewhere. You are only losing a small amout of coolant over a long time so the leak will be tiny. Most likely the radiator but could be anywhere.

Also, don't fill above the max mark.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 22-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nordjylland
thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I will have cooler tested next week.

I am absolutely no good at engines, and totally hysterical with the car. Not a good combination. Not cheap in any case!!!
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

I have a GT JTS 2.0 and there is no coolant loss. Good luck on sorting it out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT