What Top Arms Are You Using? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
County: Lancashire

Member car:

147 JTD TI

Not Happy Beware of buypartsby

Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
Quinton Hazel (now owned by Klarius) available as follows:-

Buy ALFA ROMEO 147 1.6 2001 wishbone arms (track control arms) online and save | Buy Parts By

If you have a local motor factor other than Eurocarparts you may get them for equal or less than this £32.47 + £9 postage price. I do but I also buy rather a lot of parts from my local supplier so get a good discount.

In 30 years I have never had a problem with QH parts.
Dispite ordering U/L wishbones with Q&H part #'s, buypartsby supplied 'pro-steel' lowers and 1 upper, other upper was correct Q&H.
Sponsored Links
I personally think that apart from the poly bushes they are a regular replacement item and wear is down to a selection of things. Road condition, Driving style and how they are fitted and maintained. Also the general condition of other components roll bar shocks top suspension pads and accurate tracking it is a complete system. Also driving up and off kerbs when parking etc.
This is however just a personal view.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I tried Delphi and they lasted just over a year. On TRW's now ...

The state of our roads don't help ....
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Delete QH from a recommend. My son's are now and "advisory" following his MOT and the tester showed me the movement. While they haven't failed the MOT and could be left the movement will cause accelerated tyre wear and tyres aren't cheap.

They bushes were lubricated before fitting and my son doesn't drive on poor roads nor does he hit speed bumps at speed.

Power flex bushes purchased and waiting installation.
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

TRW on both for me
Following the confuzzled methods on what exactly to grease and where... You have two methods and choices depending on what brand of wishbone you buy...

Some like Birth, TRW and OE Alfa Romeo arms etc... They come pre- greased but in all honesty it's really a measly amount. You grease the metal collars and the inside of the rubber bush on these as the bush rotates around this collar and the bush remains stationary in the alloy of the arm in unison.

Now... This is where the confusion and disagreements come to the fore...
With regards to the, what we refer to as "cheaper,pattern or budget" arms are concerned, these are NOT pre- greased at all and as a result, get fitted dry and can fail very quickly indeed. No suprise there !

However, the bush and greasing method is slightly different as you will notice with these particular choice of arms, the bushes are actually BONDED TO THE COLLAR itself. They operate with the collar and bush stationary and the alloy arm moves on the outer part of the bush.. That is the actual area you grease ...Use red rubber grease on both types of arm or if you prefer, the white silicon based grease which is more expensive but the red grease is more than up to the job

Do this on your choice and there will be absolutely no reason why any choice of arm won't last over three years at least without hassle or play. Trust me on that.

Now.... If you have used common sense when fitting new upper wishbones with the main bolt reversed so the head of the bolt is now facing the rear of the car and not the spring and damper... You can quite easily remove the bolt in the future without disassembling the strut and simply push the bushes and/or collars, grease them up again on a yearly basis and suffer no squeaks or wear and tear, making them last even longer
You don't even have to remove the arm or split the ball joint, you simply twist the arm out towards you to access the bushes/collars. Top job, top tip

If you are confused to what type of arm you have purchased, a good method of checking is that if the inner collar can come out easily by a simple push with your thumb and you notice little plus +++ inside the inner bush, then that's the more expensive arm... If you can't get the collar out of the bush at all without damaging the rubber, then it's the pattern type of arm...Simple really So... Grease them accordingly as above.

I'm out at the moment but when I get back to my p.c. I will post some photos of what the budget BONDED bushes look like and where exactly to grease and the reason why

Either way, whatever you buy, they all need tlc and a smattering of common sense to make them last.
Good luck

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

Last edited by Grahameo; 21-07-13 at 19:06.
TRW uppers I got recently were very liberally greased

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

arms , top