P0601 ECU/EBD error - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 11-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD 16v

P0601 ECU/EBD error

Hello fellow Alfisti, I need your help!

My heavily modified Alfa 147 jtd 16v (103kw, MY2003) has died after a high speed emergency brake event on the highway.

The car pulled firmly to one side while braking, I almost lost control so released the brakes and hit the brakes once more...again firmly pulling to one side. ABS did kick in (I could feel the brake paddle juddering), but obviously something was wrong with the brakeforce distribution.

I managed to avoid a collision and a few seconds later I happily floored the throttle again, but then a sudden loss of power and the engine died..I pulled over to the emergency lane and tried restarting....nothing. On the dash it displayed 'EBD error' while trying to restart...this message was not a real shocker after what had happened a few minutes earlier.

I had the car eventually pulled away to my garage, but by the time I got there the battery had died from keeping the lights on while towing and the restarts I did. The garage charged the battery overnight with a slow charger and tried restarting the car, but the engine never came back alive and on the dash it displayed 'P0601 ECU defect (EEPROM)'.

Having read several posts on the internet and this forum I believe the ECU has died and there are not that many options left to resolve this. Reflashing and reprogramming the ECU may work, but for how long...what are the chances of this problem coming back? Obviously a new ECU is very expensive and perhaps not worth the trouble anymore considering age and mileage of my car.

My question however is: what could have caused the ECU to fail in the first place? The emergency brake and the failing brake force distribution seems likely related...but how could this cause an ECU to fail? And, if there was an EBD problem to begin with, what could have caused this...a failing ABS pump? ABS did kick in while braking...

If I put in a new ECU, wouldn't I still be left with the EBD problem due to another technical malfunction?

Any information you can share would be most helpful to make my decision wether to repair the car, or scrap it for parts and put the tuning bits on another car.

147 jtd 16v, Leather, Navi, Bose, 18inch, Novitec body kit, GTA headlights, Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks, Brembo+Ferodo brakes, Squadra-tuning, K&N airfilter

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

ecu or ebd , error , p0601