Handbrake nearly came off! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Handbrake nearly came off!

I have just applied the handbrake on my GT and the handbrake lever has just pointed skyward at 90 degrees with a bang! It seems to still hold the car ok but obviously it should never be as high as this, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
I'd suspect one of the cables to the rear wheels has snapped.
AO Member
If it's still holding the car to some extent then I'd say that one of the handbrake cables has snapped. same happened to me on my honda a while ago. It's probably only operating the brakes on one of the rear wheels now instead of both sides.
AO Gold Member
Agreed - probably worth changing both cables as if one has gone the other will be suspect...they aren't ridiculously expensive - under 20 each if you check around.....

If doing the job yourself - back off the adjuster on the handbrake (peel the gaitor back and you'll find it underneath), replace both rear cables, ensuring that the levers on the calipers are fully back against the stops, then adjust the handbrake lever until you get the correct amount of movement -around 4 clicks is about right.....
Thanks for the advice everybody i will have a look when i get a minute and change both the cables. You all seem clued up on the matter so i suspect thats what the problem will be, ill update with my findings

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT