Floppy Clutch after brake bleeding - GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Floppy Clutch after brake bleeding - GT

Hi folks,

Wondering whether anyone on here has encountered the same problem as I did today.

I was bleeding the rear brakes on the GT, finished it and proceeded to start on the front ones where I noticed my clutch has gone all floppy. I continued anyway to bleed the front brakes and then tried to look for an answer on the forum.

Everything looks fine underneath the clutch pedal, proceeded to check the slave cylinder but couldn't find the nipple anywhere, just found a black rubber type head casing. Gave up, called the AA and the guy said the master had leaked which I don't really believe because it was probably from the brake bleeding I did earlier (which I didn't really declare to him :s)

Anyone know what is possibly up with it? :s

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 06-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Oh the brake/clutch fluid is topped up forgot to mention.
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire
Originally Posted by gt88 View Post
Oh the brake/clutch fluid is topped up forgot to mention.
There's a spring inside the clutch master cylinder that breaks. It's supposed to push the piston all the way back out when you release the clutch pedal, but on breaking doesn't do this and doesn't allow you to bleed the clutch properly. I replaced mine recently because of the same problem. You can get a genuine master cylinder online for 55 inc VAT & Carriage.

Alfa Romeo GT Master cylinders

Two things to remember.. You need the rubber 'O' ring seal that goes between the master cylinder and the bulkhead off the old unit to put on the new one (I found this out after fitting the new one and had to take it out again. ), and remove the cruise control switch from the clutch pedal mounting bracket BEFORE disconnecting the master cylinder as the activation pin is on an internal ratchet and if pushed in, you'll need to take the switch apart to reset it..
AO Gold Member
Can't really see why working on the brakes should affect your clutch, but if you want to bleed the clutch before doing the fairly major surgery of master cylinder replacement, (assuming it isn't a diesel). the there is a spring clip in the pipe going into the slave cylinder - when pulled out, the pipe can then be pulled back sufficiently to enable the clutch to be bled.......
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

what was wrong with your brakes to feel need to bleed up?
i think your fluid level was too low at some point or coincidence that either slave or master has failed but read on from here ............
well today my slave cylinder let go ,noticed yesterday gears where getting notchy and action didnt feel right
went to car this morning and the pedal was floppy so called AA out and yes got a warranty and fitted replacement slave and helped him sort it ,had problem bleeding it up .....pedal was floppy and stuck down at floor and no what ever was done couldnt bleed it up ,and yes pedal wouldnt return back regardless,so said to AA fella put finger over bleed nipple and when i say it is down ,put finger over it and then ill lift pedal and did that until plenty of fluid came out ,then do the correct method ......the clutch arm pushes the piston back on doing so pushes back pedal to its correct position
ps diagnally split brakes should be bled in the way circuits are set ,rear furthest away from m/s and opposite near side front and so on
ps brake fluid is lower than clutch fluid level point so if you lose ya clutch fluid you wont lose ya brakes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bleeding , brake , clutch , floppy