Rough idle after rocker cover gasket change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-01-13 Thread Starter
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

147 2.0 ts

Rough idle after rocker cover gasket change

Hi all hope someone can help.

I changed my rocker cover gasket on my 147 2.0ts this afternoon aswell as oil and filter. Put everything back together oil in started up fine and left to tick over no problems so far then went for a quick drive within half a mile pulled up at traffic lights and it was idling really lumpy and on the verge of stalling. The car drives fine when above 1500rpm all the way up the rev range its just when it is sat. I then too the top plastic cover back off and was trying to retrace my steps to see if there was something I had forgotten to put back and nothing. Took the coil rail off and checked all that and nothing visible. I then put it all back again and started it up and tried unplugging individual coils to see if unplugging one had no effect on the idle but as I unplugged each one the cylinder dropped off so I presumed not coil packs. I took the MAF sensor plug off to see if I had disturbed anything there but nothing visible but the engine stalled and now i have the Motor control system failure on the dash. the only thing that I can think is if I unplug the plug on the front left hand side that has a red wire coming out that goes into the cam cover the engine note doesn't change so could this be at fault as I unplugged it to get the wiring out of the way to change rocker gasket and one of the lambda sensors it has to be something I have disturbed during my gasket change. I spoke to a friend that works for Vauxhall he said he thought it might be getting too much air have I left a breather off or split a hose but nothing visible. Please can anyone help or is it a trip to a garage?

Cheers in advance Ryan

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

change , cover , gasket , idle , rocker , rough