Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Zealand
Lazyness won over good judgement and without checking the cambelt I turned the key... and thank God Rockhopper was correct. It started and ran OK.
So I drove it straight into my garage and stripped parts off, replaced cam belt, balancer belt, water pump, all tensioners etc. Also replaced Variator and filled her up with new synthetic oil.
a BIG THANKS to all the helpful people on this site with their advice. I'm not sure I would have tackled this job without it. It took me all day and I had to do a few things twice before I got it right, but now it is sounding so smooth and quiet compared to before and I saved a hell of a lot of money and I'm more confident in my work than some stranger....
I purchased the car in June - it was an import with no mechanical history and I would say no servicing. I had to replace the thermostat, air flow meter, accumulator, clutch solenoid...I'm sure there is more I just cant remember. So now hopefully it should be reliable for a while as I think from what Ive read here I have covered the most common faults.
I also had no spare key so I took the immobilizer out of the key ring and glued it to the ignition sensor so now I can just get another plain key cut. This works out 10 time cheaper than any other way!