Early 2.5 V6 Brake Upgrade to Later? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyrone
Early 2.5 V6 Brake Upgrade to Later?

I've been searching out some brakes for my mid-01 2.5 V6 SW. Decided on EBC grooved and greenstuff pads and was getting ready to buy when I noticed the 02- on V6 has different parts, and it seems that the discs were larger, I think.
I was just wondering, if anyone knows, the later calipers should be a direct fit to the earlier struts, shouldn't they? I drive the car quickly but I've no need for the usual big brake kit and Ferodo DS2500 pads - which will never get up to operating temp anyway - but if I could drop in a set of slightly larger discs, given I need to change them anyway, I'd grab a later set of V6 ones.
I don't want to be getting into making brackets or changing the offset so that's why I'd like to know if it's all the same fitting. Or if it's the same calipers just with a spacer to move them out further?
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Are you talking about front or rear?

The front discs never changed through the life of the v6 156, they were always 284x22mm and always used the same pads (although there was a change from having wear sensors on both sides to only having on one side, so some places list different pads, but they are the same).

Later rear discs went from 251mm to 276mm, but you don't need them.

If you are getting rear pads & discs, make sure you get the correct pads as there was a change. Early used 166 type rear pads, later used 147 type rear pads.

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 05-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyrone
Sorry, I was talking about the rear yes. Fair enough I'll stick with what I have as they are good enough for a bit of fast road driving. Thanks for the info.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , early , upgrade