Tapping noise after replacing head on alfa 147 1.6 ts after cam belt failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-13 Thread Starter
County: East Sussex
Tapping noise after replacing head on alfa 147 1.6 ts after cam belt failure

Hey I've recently replaced head,cam belt, head gasket on my 2002 Alfa , after a can belt stripped its teeth. The car is back up and running and sounds fine except for an annoying light tapping noise that comes from the top of the engine, it runs fine just wondering what it could be as it didn't have it before? ... Also engine management light has stayed on how do I go about getting it turned off?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
Lack of oil the the head maybe, think its advised that after an engine rebuild that you should cycle the engine several times to get the oil pumped around the passeges and internal moving parts.

Think theres issues where people have rebuilt T.Spark engines after cambelt failure but neglect the main/ big end bearings as the piston contact with the valves can do damage to the bottom end.

Regards to the engine management light, you can download MultiEcuScan or FiatEcuScan and with the right KKL lead and a laptop, read the errors and reset any error messages.

AO Silver Member
County: Kent
As above, if the cambelt has snapped/stripped, the valves contact with the piston crown, and the force travels down the conrods, and can damage the big end shells, so in most cases should be replaced.

Damaged big ends can cause a tappy sort of noise, which sound like it's coming from top-end, but closer listening will reveal its lower down.

they can be replaced with engine in car.

this does not mean, of course, that this is what has happened to yours, and could also be just a tappet that hasn't filled with oil properly, or is slightly sticky.
re-built engine should always be turned over without spark plugs initially to get the oil circulated

gone but never forgotten . new blue

XBOX Gamertag : celadon278
Xbox Forza3 AO : Class B joint 3rd

Battle scars
Based on my own experiences I'd say (yet again) that it's more likely to be a problem with tappet, either sticking or broken, rather than flat spotted bearings. The tappets, along with the valves tend to be the weak link but exactly what is the problem if it is either of theses two issues will be down to how hard and how may times the valves have hit the pistons.
Originally Posted by wtate View Post
Also engine management light has stayed on how do I go about getting it turned off?
Have you damaged the timing sensor ring that's on the back of the exhaust cam pulley?
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
We've had similar stories a few time before I think?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , belt , cam , failure , head , noise , replacing , tapping