Koni Str.t Kit for GT.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Koni Str.t Kit for GT....

Recently bought an 06 Gt, really want to get it lowered! Posted an earlier thread, as I have no experience with lowering a car, what so ever! Well I've decided I don't just want to get the springs, as the car has done 68k already, so though might as well get shocks too.

Now I have a budget of around 450 quid and it seems the Koni STR.T kit is best value for money? I want to lower it about 30mm, so ticks the box there, just wanted to check that the ride quality isn't bone shattering?? So anyone used this kit? If anyone thinks its a bad idea or suggests a similar alternative, that would be great!

Just wanted to get some suggestions/feedback before i shell out for them at the end of the month.

Cheers Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Hi Joe,
If you go on eBay and search Koni sports kit,you'll find a kit for 499. This is cheap because its their older kit where they used Eibach springs. They now put H&R springs in kit I believe. I think it lowers 35mm. The kit is from larkspeed but I'm sure when I looked on their site it was only 450. With this kit u can adjust your damping, but springs may be lower than current pro kit springs. DaveAlfa will tell u about it,
AO Silver Member

Garage
Just checked the kit and it says for Alfa 156, but I think it's the same kit for GTs, check with them, but I'm pretty sure the dampers and springs for 156 and GT are same apart from engine sizes specifying different springs. Just spend a bit of time on the net looking at product numbers for dampers and springs separately.
(Post Link) post #4 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Cheers for the response Al.

I cant find a full Koni sports kit for less than 600? (with shocks and springs) Hence the reason I found the STR.T kit which is 408 from Larkspeed, which i thought was pretty good?

Do You not think it would be a good option then? My ideal set up would be for a full Eibach setup but just seems a bit out of my price range!

I'm new to the whole lowering world, but can you match up any spring and shock? (as long as they fit the car)

I'm not too bothered about the handling (i.e i dont expect to be rallying my way round corners) I just want to make sure it lowers around 30mm and still has a decent ride.... didnt realise id end up getting so bloody confused ha!
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
Give Alfa shop a call.

Koni sport dampers and Eibachs spring. Although the FSD has some gleaming reports.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
KW's....end
(Post Link) post #7 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Ive looked through most places on the net and there all about 600, I have about 450 tops....
AO Silver Member

Garage
Hi Jo,

I've not tried them, but I would agree with Joss. If ever my FSD's go down the pan on the Gt, I'd try KW V2.

Here's the link for the koni, bear in mind they are for 156, but I think it's the same kit for Gt, I'll check tonight for you.

Koni Sport Adjustable Suspension Kit for Alfa Romeo - larkspeed.com
(Post Link) post #9 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Cheers Al,

Read quite abit about the Koni Str.t and The sport, seem very similar (correct me if Im wrong) that you can adjust the setting of the sport in 5 different modes? and the Str.t is set about 3-4 of the sport?? I think they even come with the same H and R springs. Whats the benefit of them being able to be adjustable, i.e if you not on a track day etc?
AO Silver Member

Garage
I've not used either, but if the strt is supposedly position 4, then it's a no brainer to get the sports at that price, so u can go harder or softer than the strt.

I honk u should call Larkspeed, get the codes that are printed on the springs and dampers, then google those codes and see if they're the same for GT's. or Larkspeed will tell u.
AO Gold Member

I had sports on the 166 and had them on soft. From my experience the sport dampers were bloody fantastic. Also Had Eibach springs too.

Put it this way. Your not going to regret getting adjustable sports esp if they are cheaper.
AO Gold Member

Def give the awesome guys at alfa shop a call. Top guys that will give you honest advice.
(Post Link) post #13 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Spoke to Larkspeed...dont seem to think they would fit my Gt... Grrrrr all i want is to drop my her 30mm now im looking at every kit/combo under the sun lol
AO Silver Member

Garage
No I just checked and current H&R springs are different codes for 156 and Gt. koni sport dampers code for 156 is same as GT though, so you could probably get the kit for 425 and bin/sell the springs and get some Eibach ones cheap off Alfisti.net. Larkspeed could give u the code off the dampers and u could see if its 8041-1239 for front and 8741-1473 for rear.

Or just call Alfashop for some pro advice.
(Post Link) post #15 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Yeh I appreciate what your saying Al, but that will still equate to around 600 by the time I've payed for a delivery etc.... I thought 408 for the STR.T kit was pretty good.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Fair do's Jo, it is a very cheap kit I suppose. Just hope the quality isn't cheap.

I know it's easier said than done, but if you're keeping he GT a while, bust your balls to get a well known set up, you really don't wanna be 'thinking what if?' All the time for the sake of 250. Call some garages and see how much they'd supply and fit stuff for, you might get better quality kit for nearer your budget.
AO Gold Member

aghh So a Koni damper kit will fit front and rears of the GT....thats handy to knw.
AO Gold Member

(Post Link) post #19 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Yeh i know what you mean, land i do want to get it right. AH! I dont know what to bloody do now?! ha

Like i said I dont that much about suspension kits etc Ive read about the STR.T's on ther cars, and people seem to say good things.

If i was working full time, thn i would probably do the sensible thing n wait and put the extra 200 in, but being a student (dont ask me why i bought it when i was student i I simply had to have one ha) and If anything the cash is more likley to go in the red :-(
AO Silver Member

Garage
I forgot you were a Student, fair play for having some spare cash for a GT and new sussies. You could be the GT and STR-t guinea pig, you could even do your dissatation on them. The kit is cheap for what might be a good outcome. At the end of the day even if you bought TRW or KYB shocks and new springs, they'd be more than the KONI kit. Otherwise it's an Ebay special....
(Post Link) post #21 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Well the love affair starting about 18 months ago, N ive saved like crazy to get one!

Bought it last month...n absolutely love it! Looked straight away and realised that dropping in 30mm or so will make it look so much better hence why i want to do it so much!

Well i know theres a few kits for like 300, but thats even too cheap by my standards ha

Just out of interest how to adjust the settings on the Koni sports? how different is the settings?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
To be fair have just looked at a load of reviews for those STr.t kits (ok not on Alfa's but think most forums know good from bad)and lots of people singing their praises and it is a good price for the package, next decent set is nearly 200 quid more, thats a lot of baked beans Joe!
Personally I would go for it I mean at worst its going to be a slightly lower standard handling car, but looking at reviews I think may be a big improvement and look a lot nicer.
Just make sure you get the right ones for your car as there are two sets listed for the Gt.
(Post Link) post #23 of 56 Old 02-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

06 GT 1.9 Jtdm

Yeah cheers Ed, I think your right! I was getting on the verge of knocking the whole thing on the head, so confusing ha! almost a case of too many chefs in the kitchen after everyone puts the 2 pence in ha

Its like anything, I suppose theres always something better out there, it would be like saying to someone whos got enough to buy the sport kit or Bilsteins and saying well there ok but THEE kit to have is 900 bones..... you got to draw the line somewhere!

I'm not even that bothered about it handling like a scaletrix car, Its a bonus to be honest, mainly want to do it to lower it...Just don't want it to be teeth shattering??? (I know people say its not as hard as the sports on the stiffest setting, but I have nothing to compare it to??)

As Ed says I could be the guinea pig for the GT and fly the flag (gulp ha) and as for the disseration...just finished it 2 weeks ago and NEVER want to hear that word ever again lol

Sorry I may seem a bit paranoid about the whole thing, its just being a student and just having bought the car, I want to make it sure its right!
AO Gold Member

Whens the cambelt (plus water pump) due on your car? How clutch feel fine....

Dont wanna **** on your bon fire.....but just look ahead, plan for maintenence before splashing out.....i was a student once, thank god I had daddy to help me out with a 600 bill for the 166.

And if you are going to do it, do it properly!!!! I found the Sports awesome, real firm, gave the car heaps on confidence and so much feedback.......it was was comfortable too! - just do it right.

Sports are firm but you could set it so you'd feel every bump (softly) and with no roll at all - i miss having them.
AO Gold Member

Plus 70 for setting your wheels up properly amd not by idiots from kwick fit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
kit , koni , strt