Soft brake pedal/brake bleed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 29-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Armagh
Soft brake pedal/brake bleed

Hi there!
I have just replaced the front brake flexibles on my V6 GT, following a split in the offside one which resulted in loss of hydraulic fluid and brake pedal to the floor. Luckily only a few hundred yards from home.
Having replaced the flexibles and bled the system several times the pedal is still soft. I am getting fluid at each bleed nipple on the calipers, front and back when the pedal is operated. Intend bleeding the system again tomorrow, and taking the car for a short shake down run but have I missed something?
Don't want to give it to the dealer if it is an easy problem and worried that due to the pedal going to the floor there is now a master cylinder problem......

Have I missed something really obvious?

Kind regars and Happy New Year

Martin B

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Did you allow the fluid to drain from that part of the circuit?
If you there will probably be air trapped in the ABS unit and you'll need diags (ie MultiECUScan for DIY) to bleed it now.
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

You may have air in the ABS modulator which can be a pain to bleed. It may get firmer after a test drive (especially if you give the ABS something to do) or at least may bleed better afterwards if the air bubbles are dislodged. If you have the ECU interface stuff/software you can manually operate the valves on the ABS pump during bleeding which is the best way of doing it. Failing that it might work if you try reverse bleeding ie pumping fluid into the system via the bleed nipples?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bleed , brake , pedal or brake , soft