Not the usual heavy clutch post. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Not the usual heavy clutch post.

Has anyone any suggestions here?

I'm about to do a long trip next week so thought I would try and do something about my very heavy clutch.

First the fluid - it was like thick black bitumen. So using an anti-freeze strength testing bulb from Lidl for 1.50 I drew off all the gloopy fluid from the resevior and filled it with fresh, drove it for a couple of days then did the same again. This avoided risking any broken bleed nipples etc and gave it fresh fluid in the system. (I'll do a proper flush when the weather improves).

Now this has resulted in much improved clutch action, lighter and smoother. And thats without any of the lubrication which I've yet to try. But the strange part...

My pedal is much higher than the brake pedal, and when you press it there is virtually no resistance until its about level with the brake, then the real weight and resistance starts. Now if I just shove the pedal straight down from rest its as stiff and notchy as before. But if when changing gear and releasing the pedal I stop it with my foot as it rises level with the brake, from that position I can press it down as often as I like freely and smoothly and gear changes are a dodle. Its only when you let the pedal rise that last little bit past the brake that it becomes stiff and heavy next time you change gear.

It feels like there is a lot of slack intitialy then once its taken up that slack the mechaism is sticking. Can the intial slackness be adjusted out so that the pedal is level with the brake?

Otherwise the clutch works fine, no slipping and a good biting point.

Sorry this is so long.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales
The master cylinder controls the pedal play. If you pedal is lifting that high check it out.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Hard to see how taking fluid off the reservoir is going to make any difference to the fluid in the master cylinder. There shouldn't be any circulation of fluid around the system, it's dead headed, so the fluid in the master is going to be the same regardless of what you do at the reservoir. The only way of getting clean fluid though the master is to bleed at the slave.

If the fluid is like black bitumen ... what state are your brakes in ? The whole lot needs bleeding if it's that bad.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 22-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
There must be a certain amount of circulation around the system, especially after I overfilled it and out overflowed when I operated the clutch. Oops.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , heavy , post , usual