156 JTS Throttle Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 30-06-05 Thread Starter
156 JTS Throttle Problem

A couple of times our 2002 156 JTS has indicated a 'Motor Control System Failure' and switched to limp home mode. The Alfa dealers diagnosed a problem with the accelerator potentiometer (tracks reading different voltages) and the accelerator assembly was replaced under our third party warranty. A couple of days later it happened again, and all Alfa can say is there must be a wiring fault between the Pot and the ECU. Trouble, is they say that is might take a long time to find and wiring loom faults are not covered under our warrantee. Seems like a licence to print money.....

Anyway before I take the plunge, any suggestions. It seems to me the most likely problem is with connectors, and the only one I've found is on top of the accelerator assy itself - I've fiddled with this but generally it looks OK. Some forums talk about another connector between this and the ECU, being a weak point but I can't one, does anyone know where this might be?

Any help greatly appreciated it might save me a lot of time and money!!

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 2l JTS

Re: 156 JTS Throttle Problem

Hi mike
I've got the same problem twice with my 2002 SW JTS. The first time I don't know what they really did but it worked for 700 km. The last time, The technician who worked on it has found "very strange" wire resistances (varying from 0.3 to 0.6 Ohm). As I was in the hurry (got the problem the day before to go for holidays) he has decided to replace by hand all the potentiometer wiring. Since that I've driven 3000 Km without problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , jts , problem , throttle