Is it worth it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 18-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Is it worth it?

I bought my Alfa as a cheap runaround 18 months ago for about £900, and since then she's done me proud - but I'm potentially getting a company car in the new year, and I'm wondering if it's worth farting about trying sell the Alfa or just get her scrapped.

She's an 02 plate 147 2.0 Lusso in Gab Blue, 5 door, done just on 84k. Fresh set of front tyres under 500 miles ago (Hankooks + tracking done), cambelt, water pump etc all done 6 months ago. The gear linkage was suffering from stickyness so have done the top hat bush job, also had a leak from a split PS pipe so have replaced the whole pipe setup with the new reinforced ones. Wiper linkage has just snapped so would do that, plus 12 months MOT and 5 months tax if it was worth it.

Pulls well, drives smooth, great car.

On the downside the front suspension sounds like a family of field mice so suspect both lots of wishbones need doing soon-ish. The rev counter doesn't work and never has, but had it on AlfaDiag and it's getting signal so suspect it just needs a replacement unit.

Only other downside (and it's a biggy) is the reason I got it so cheap in the first place. The previous owner has managed to clip a bollard in a supermarket, meaning that on the passenger side a new wing is required and possibly a new front bumper as well. Keep meaning to do this myself, but never got round to it. It's not horrifically noticable but is there. Been through two MOTs since with no problem

Is it even worth me bothering with the whole selling a used Alfa fiasco, or just scrap it and be done?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

depends how much you'll get for it at scrap doesn't it? make a couple of phone calls

If it was me....
I would put it up for sale as a donor car for some other Alfa member for say £100- £150 more than scrap value... Someone will get good use out of it mate
The added bonus is it is drivable legally at the moment so just a spare driver needed and not a trailer... You can arrange temporary insurance cover with the buyer via your current insurer on an A to B basis that the buyer can pay the small extra for... Everyone is happy then, you get your money's worth and you are helping a grief stricken Alfisti out at the same time.
Karma, it's a brilliant thing.

A fellow Alfisti will have plenty of spares
Things like spare wheels and tyres for the winter
Spare engine and gearbox + ancilliaries
Spare sub frame, hubs and drive shafts that they can build new suspension parts on and fit in one go when the weather improves.
Spare exhaust parts... The list is endless
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Pretty sure when I bought my car I got a free one day trial with Aviva...

All they do is quote you afterwards.

AO Gold Member
Got to be worth just sticking it on the 'bay, starting at say £300.....which is probably twice what you'd get for scrap (at best)....147s have held their prices a bit better than 156s, so I reckon it'd sell easily enough.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: West Sussex
I'd get a second hand wing and bumper in the correct colour fit them and sell it for more than you have paid for it with all that work done!!
AO Platinum Member
I'd fix teh tacho' and the suspenders and keep using it.

Don't scrap it... just sell it for anything more than scrap value.. I'd have it for £300..

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Any car with 12 months MOT and two new tyres is worth more than £500.....! An Alfa with the belts just done is worth more.

I'd keep an eye out for a spare wing and bumper in the right colour (cost - not very much), and screw them on yourself and sell it for a grand.

The real problem these days is that the target market for these cars has gone: the reasonably practical 19 year old wanting a decent set of wheels. Insurance is the problem. I was that 19 year old in 1991, and bought a somewhat porous GTV for £2K. Insurance was only £400 then, would be £4K now....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT