Squeaky belt? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria
Squeaky belt?

I have a squeak in my engine, it sounds to me like it's probably a belt, but I'm not entirely sure.

The sound goes away after the engine's warmed up and the cam belts have been changed 20,000km's ago...

IU am planning on taking it in to the mechanic, but as the noise is completely gone after the engines' warm, outside of leaving it with him overnight, I'm not sure he'd be able to shed much light on it..

Here's a youtube, Alfa 156 Engine squeak - YouTube you can just hear it in the background.. the frequency changes with revs and then fades away as the engine warms up.

Any ideas?

2002 156 GTA | 330mm Brakes | Mille Miglia | Q2 | Bilstein B14 Coilovers
2003 156 JTS
1999 Mercedes C200
Sponsored Links
Hmmm, It's always difficult to source a sound via video. If I had to make an educated guess, it would be auxiliary belt area, possibly your alternator bearing area....

This may sound risky, but it isn't.
Buy some silicon lubricant spray, don't worry, it won't damage rubber or electrics in fact it feeds rubber.

With the engine cold start her up using the straw that you get with the lube spray for better control just lightly spray for half a second at a time, the area of the alternator as the belt is turning... Give it five quick squirts over ten seconds See if the sound goes away...
Don't go crazy with the stuff, you don't want to soak the area.
If it does quieten down , then you know its the auxiliary belt out of true alignment along it's pulley and rollers.... If the noise goes and then comes back within a few hours, get the bearings on the alternator checked.

If it makes no difference at all, then it is the cam belt tensioner/ rollers area that needs inspection. A quick method of elimination
Hope this helps
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria
Thanks Grahameo, as it happens, I decided to email the video to my mechanic, he immediately suggested i come in.. So, after the exact inpection you just recommended, we found it to be the cam belt tensioner.

So, I booked it in for next month for a cam belt kit (albeit only half way through its service life) - sorted, or so I thought....

He had to take the aux belt off to eliminate that as a source, as you suggested, but he didnt put it back on properly....

Just a few miles down the road a faint smell of burning rubber, then a thwat thwat thwat sound.. stopped the car.. yep there was a noise there alright.. so did a u-turn to go back and then - bang and a almighty knocking noise, followed by loss of power steering, alternater and then silence.

Well, the engine still ran, just the belt had shred its self to oblivion so as you would expect, silence

Anyway, returned to mechanic, checked the engine, turns out the failed aux belt took out the cam belt. So, he's replacing the cam belt for me tonight.. car will be ready in the morning Poor bugger is working through the night for me.. boo hoo.

Mind - I had a feeling it was related to the cam belt, so I'm glad its getting done now so I don't have to risk blowing the engine up over Christmas.. I already did that 2 Christmas's ago.

Moral of the story, always make sure your car has an engine undertray.. seems they are good for something - keeping the muck and crap out of the pully systems. Mines never had one, which is why I've had 2 x premature cam belt failures.. well one full failure, and one near failure.

Second moral of the story, encourage mechanic to put your car back together properly.

I'd be bored if i owned a toyota.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

belt , squeaky