And they say Alfa's are unreliable - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

I drive a diesel GT and do a 20 mile each way commute .I have had the car 18 months and had only 1 breakdown the swirl flaps packed in. Replaced the inlete manifold it was full soot, choked the swirl flaps, also the switch gear total cost 600 .Still needs a DMF and a new clutch 950.Still love the car hoping when thats done it will run for another 50.000 miles with only minor problems sigh
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

156 2.0TS Lusso

I used to work for a car review website which gathered owners reviews. There was not a single model manufactured by any company on our records, which did not have negative reviews relating to faults developed. We always suspected there was an element of expectation on the part of the owners so Alfa or Skoda owners for instance weren't so inclined to burst a blood vessel at a little time off the road, whereas Audi or Lexus owners expected utter infallibility and so were more inclined to shout about it.

My '02 156 has given me trouble free motoring for 2 years and 24k with just maintenance. My girlfriend runs a recently acquired Audi TT, and if you read the forums, its pretty much a time bomb waiting to go off.

AO Gold Member
...with the modern direct fuel injected engines the problems are staggering ! these engines need sulphur free fuel like V-Power, Excellium etc.. but they don't tell you that when you buy it !
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Wife :
Alfa GT - No problems
Alfa Brera : No Problems
BMW 320i Brand New : Oil Seal Failure

Me :
Audi A4 : Electrical Alarm / Immob failure
Audi A4 Convertible : Multitronic Gearbox Failure
Alfa GT : No Problems

Needless to say Italy wins 3-0.
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Thats just the person not buying the correct car for application really.
Which alot of people do in the vain attempt to get more MPG and savee at the fuel pumps.

I like diesels. I dislike EGR, DPF and to a lesser extent turbo's and common rail pumps. But without the common rail fuel pressure and Turbo's diesels are gutless. Add the stupid EGR and DPF and anything other than longer commutes means a less reliable car. Turbo failures usually happen becasue they are not allowed to spin down and oil changes should be more frequent than service manuals dictate.

Still when they work perfectly they can dave you some coin. Thats the only reason I opted for a petrol, cheaper to buy, maintain and live with on application of short town journeys or town driving.

But If I did alot of motorway miles I wouldn't hesitate to get a diesel. Regardless of the rattle, stinky fuel and additional maintenance. Because in the long run it would be more economical. If a little lifeless to drive (comparing the 1.9 8v of the same era to drive as my own 147 in standard guise).

Like any car, preventative maintenance is the key to having a reliable car.
Neglect anything mechanical and it will let you down at some point.
You just took the words out of my mouth ---- I was going to reply '' did you let the engine tick over for a minute or so before switching off '' ??? HEAT SOAK INTO THAT BEARING & no one bothers reading the handbook --- my L Cruiser had a warning on the sun visor saying LET THE ENGINE IDLE 30 sec's minimum before switching off

I was also about to say '' maintenance is king '' ie. service it yourself and twice as often then it'll run for ever --- engines like clean oil so it's the cheapest thing you'll ever spend on your car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , unreliable