Prob 2: Alarm goes off when opening boot! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 16-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Prob 2: Alarm goes off when opening boot!

Hi all,
Another strange Alfa-y issue...when I release the boot using the fob, the sounder indicates the alarm has disarmed, the lights flash correctly and the boot releases...but when you open the boot, the alarm goes off! Is this personal, or is there some kind of issue that someone might know about? And could this be in any way related to the strange behaviour of my throttle on the way in to work tonight (let off the throttle and it carried on going at a rate of knots!)?
Any Help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I know I can't open the boot without setting the alarm off on my GT. Always seemed odd behaviour. I can't say whether there is bleep though to suggest it has turned off. I will if I get chance check it later.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

On the gt check that the 2 black stops are in the out position you should be able to push them in and out if not twist them till they pop out .Mine was like that I can open and close the boot without alarm sounding Ps they are in the hatch look up when you open it
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
I'm sure I read in the 156 handbook that using the boot button turns off the volumetric sensor for the boot rather than deactivating the alarm. On my 'wagon the alarm LED is still on when the boot is opened with the fob. I've had the same problem occasionally but to be honest it does it so infrequently I've not really bothered to look into it.
I've seen something one here where the volumetric sensors get clogged a bit with dust and the cure is to hoover them out every so often. In the 156 they are on the b pillar above the seatbelt top mount. Might be worth a go.

There are also a couple of microswitches in the latch mechanism on the bumper - I guess these might stick and cause this?

Last edited by Iron Wizard; 17-12-12 at 12:10. Reason: Editted to add...
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

My GT only does this if I open the boot imediatley after setting the alarm. I assume it's something to do with the arming process.
I have to turn the alarm off before opening the boot. I think the flashes are just to show that the fob has worked and opened the boot. Certainly if I open the boot when the alarm is on, it doesn't switch the alarm off. I know that 'cos the stupid alarm beeps with the light flashes when activating/deactivating. Pressing the boot button on the fob gives no beeps, just flashing lights.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 17-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Do you know, I think you clever gents are right..there is still a light flashing on the dash so it looks like it probably is still alarmed - perhaps I've just been lucky for the last year and it hasn't gone off!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Think it depends what you chuck in the boot, guess as said the boot release disables the sensors in your headlining to detect movement but everthing else stays on, mine has never went off with the boot open but other week I had bought 2 slabs of beer (it was on special offer!!) and popped the boot , dropped the first slab of 24 cans in and the alarm went off, reset it all opened boot again stuck my head in, waved at sensors....nothing, dropped second 24 cans in and it went off, guess its just doing its job.
Oh and mine doesnt beep or flash when the boot opens, the boot just pops up
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

2005 147 JTD

my 147 is same have to unlock the car with the fob before opening the boot or the alarm goes off

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alarm , boot , opening , prob