fxxxxng big pothole - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
fxxxxng big pothole

we were returning home in the dark last night on the bolton by bowland b road towards sawlley for those that know it , i was aproaching towards the copy nook pub before the river bridge , when i had to slow down to 20 mph or so because the road gets narrower , its dark & a big 4x4 doing nothing wrong comeing in the opposite direction towards me, with nowhere to go as we were level at that speed i saw the puddle on my inside , with nowhere to go i hit it & i thought all my fillings had come out & my wife took a big hit on her back, i have been driving a lot of years & thats the biggest pot hole i have ever hit, i 100% always looking a manage to miss most ! , but this bugger got me big time.
I am thinking of takeing the car to my local garage & get it up on the ramp for the man to examine that inside wheel & whatever else , what do you guys think out there ? , i have not used the alfa today , but i checked for no puncture ! , which was ok.
I cherish any car i have owned & take care to look after them , it really hurts when you get a bang like that, it spoilt my afternoon carvery which we had at the crowtrees caravan park at tosside.
mr bean
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
Prob just bottomed out your suspention. Mighy be worth a full four wheel alignment at a DECENT garage!!!! Or they will make it worse.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
I have 17" alloys so I always overinflate my tyres by 0.2-0.3 bar over the max Alfa logbook figures (but well within the tyre manufacturers specification. It improves mpg, grip, and keeps my wheels safe. It's possible that the wheel had the wind knocked out of it and clipped the rim. If you notice any vibrations at speed then get your wheel checked out. However, as A17esh said, you probably just hit the bump stops on the piffly Bilstein B4 dampers which Alfa put on all of the last gen models. They are barely up to task and I would recommend anyone to change them out for B6 items or equivalents. I'm not talking performance mods here, I'm talking about what Alfa should have done in spite of the accountants advice. No more nose diving over speedbumps

Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa 147 Bilstein Sportdmpfer vorn Bilstein Sport-Gasdruckstodmpfer - Vorderachse 43850 - 43872

Best wishes,

Alfa 156 M-Jet 16v Sport
Rhoddy Harvey Bailey revalved Bilsten B8 damping kit
Eibach Pro Kit
15mm wheel spacers
Wiechers strut brace
Air freshener
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
copy nook does a good sunday lunch, they have some nice nosh on the menu there

pity about the pothole, country lanes just don't seem to be a priority and the main cause of these potholes is run off from fields wearing away the surface.

Potholes.co.uk - Home Page may help you claim against the council if there is damage.
AO Member
I did the same thing on Saturday evening, though I havn't lost any air from the tyre but I did take it to the garage I use and got them balancing and alignment.

the front wheel inner rim is bent. I'm currently trying to decide if I should get it straightened or buy a new alloy .. Found a place in Stockport and they have some good reviews so going to give the repair ago.
AO Member
County: Victoria
A similar thing happened to me a few years ago, going over a train crossing the road had broken away where the track was.. an almighty bang..

I didn't damage the car but it fired all the airbags..

They didn't deploy thankfully, apparently they are two stage or something, only the 1st stage went off.. so had to take it in to get them all reset... no big deal.
AO Silver Member
County: -
I hit a monster hole years ago in a 164 - was 4 up with luggage at about 80 km/h and it made a hell of a bang. Badly bent the inside rims of both wheels on the side that hit and ruined the front strut insert on that side also. Tyres and wheel alignment not effected but check your shocks.
AO Member
This happened to mine! That is clearly visable and still up! I would be very careful, get the wheel checked out, if it was damaged it could blow matey!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheel.jpg (30.4 KB, 9 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

big , fxxxxng , pothole