Fixed horn, airbag light now on. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wellington
Fixed horn, airbag light now on.

My horn decided to stop working, so as per elsewhere on the site, I unplugged the negative terminal on the battery, left it for a while, then took the airbag assembly off the front of steering wheel and unplugged the odd connector on the back of the airbag itself (which might've been a mistake?).

I got the horn module out, cleaned up some corrosion on the circuitboard and soldered a fresh wire, put it back together, reassembled everything, and the horn now works correctly.

The problem now, is the airbag light is on. Should the system even have realised that I'd unplugged it given that the battery was unplugged at the time, or have I genuinely mucked something up?

I've got an ODB2 cable but I don't have the red adapter cable to try and do a reset using MultiECUScan, I've had a hunt but haven't been able to see the adapter available separately anywhere.
(Edit: Aha - Found this thread, DIY goodness:

Given that I fixed the horn in order for it to get a warrant-of-fitness (MOT in England I think?) - having the airbag light on is going to undo all my hard work.

Last edited by stevelw; 10-12-12 at 07:50.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
I have a modified cable for you ! email me
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 03-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wellington
Finally got the cable to connect long enough to let me view the Airbag error, and it reckons that there is a present short fault.

AFAIK there's nothing in the horse-shoe circuit board that should be causing this, and the only other thing I touched was the green connector from the back of the airbag which is well & truly well-seated.

Anything else I could check? The under-seat connectors are fine.

I'll keep trying to get the cable to connect again so I can get a decent detailed report (actual error # etc) - bit hesitant to try and actually reset it given how temperamental the KL connection is.

Edit: Took the steering wheel apart, pushed all the connectors, managed to get the KL cable to talk to it long enough to see it was now an "intermittant" problem, reset it and the red light has gone away - YAY!

Last edited by stevelw; 04-01-13 at 03:50.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

airbag , fixed , horn , light